High Data Usage

YouNoIt
Coach

How can there be such high data usage .of over 5 to 10 Gb a day 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Could be any number of things. Is that total data with uploads and downloads combined, or just downloads?

Just off the top of my head:

• Have any gamers in the house? I've had far far larger single day downloads when new big games come out and updates and patches can be large. I had a 3.8GB update to one of my games today.
  • Secondary to that: If there is a gamer are they streaming their content online?
  • Unsecure wifi?
  • Anyone doing torrents?
  • Anyone using online video chat like Skype?
  • Streaming any video in 4K? (YouTube, Netflix, other)
  • Streaming any video in 60fps? (Some YouTube videos have this in both 720p60 and 1080p60)
  • Do you have one or more Windows 10 devices where Windows Update is set to upload / download updates from your devices to other ones on the network or outside?
  • Any devices with Windows 10 where the updates fail and Windows re-downloads them endlessly trying to install the update yet failing every time? I've had this before though it didn't pull 10GB in a day. 
  • Got a malware / virus infested computer or Android device?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Could be any number of things. Is that total data with uploads and downloads combined, or just downloads?

Just off the top of my head:

• Have any gamers in the house? I've had far far larger single day downloads when new big games come out and updates and patches can be large. I had a 3.8GB update to one of my games today.
  • Secondary to that: If there is a gamer are they streaming their content online?
  • Unsecure wifi?
  • Anyone doing torrents?
  • Anyone using online video chat like Skype?
  • Streaming any video in 4K? (YouTube, Netflix, other)
  • Streaming any video in 60fps? (Some YouTube videos have this in both 720p60 and 1080p60)
  • Do you have one or more Windows 10 devices where Windows Update is set to upload / download updates from your devices to other ones on the network or outside?
  • Any devices with Windows 10 where the updates fail and Windows re-downloads them endlessly trying to install the update yet failing every time? I've had this before though it didn't pull 10GB in a day. 
  • Got a malware / virus infested computer or Android device?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Five GB per day equals 150 per month, and not considered a exorbitant amount of data by many.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

7 Gb in one day with home network shut down 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Shut down as in you have the router unplugged? Do you have Optik TV?

well i am over this all ready 7 Gb in 12 hours .

Yes i have optic tv it is obvious that is the usage so it was a lie that optic tv does not use bandwidth .

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Where are you measuring this consumption?

How do you shut down your home network while still leaving Optik running?

Are you being billed for the data you see being consumed?

NFtoBC

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you watch Netflix on Optik it uses data. It warns you when you launch it. Regular TV usage won't affect the data used as it doesn't use the internet.

That's pretty funny because it does use the internet regular optic uses data 10Gb today 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@YouNoIt wrote:

That's pretty funny because it does use the internet regular optic uses data 10Gb today 

No, actually Optik is not delivered over the Internet. It is delivered over Telus IP network, as are packets from the Internet to your home. TV and Optik On Demand is all delivered from Telus-owned servers, and the packets never exit the Telus network.

Info delivered over the Telus network can meet different standards than does internet traffic. (See: Net Neutrality)

Again, how are you measuring your data consumption?

NFtoBC

20 GB today from the only items connected online is optic tv .So yes it's optic TV that is using the bandwidth That would work out to over 600GB in a month not including internet usage .

I really think this a scam and i see on reddit that i am not the only ones with the same problem .

Optic Tv does use bandwidth and does go against the monthly total.  

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Optik TV does use bandwidth but it does not affect your data cap. Make sure you aren't confusing the two terms. The Optik traffic comes from within Telus' network, not the actual internet so the traffic is very easy to differentiate.

Again, how exactly are you keeping track of bandwidth used? What are you using to track it? Where are you looking to see data transferred? Can you post screenshots? 

I look at the website and my data capture here and i have used more data in 6 days with telus than i did with shaw .Not very happy with the game that is playing here .

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You are still being rather vague in your responses. Can you please provide more details?

• Which website? What is it showing for data used?
  • What are you using for "data capture" on your end?
  • Does your local data capture method:
    • differentiate between individual devices? 
    • show uploads vs downloads?
    • only show raw data transferred?
    • anything else?
  • Can you include a screenshot?

You also appear to have PureFibre 300, those plans normally have unlimited data.

25 GB in 24 hours i see that optic tv is the problem and this information is also on reddit and other sites.

Telus does this to charge for access data usage and make more money time to see what the crtc has to say about my findings !!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

So, now you need to disconnect your TV to learn if it really is Optik.

You still have chosen to not provide any of the clarification requested, nor links to the off-site statements you have referenced.

NFtoBC

I sent a 5 page email to the CRTC about this lie from telus 

Well I do hope that you have provided more evidence of the "scam" in your letter than you have posted here.  It is not helpful to this forum to simply berate Telus.  Many users here are more than willing to help with solving problems.  But if you are unwilling to post the requested information you are simply wasting our time.

Really you guys are drinking so much of the telus kool aid it's not a joke .20GB in 24 hours is total bull**bleep**  my router 654.56 total on my router and telus site has over 10GB how is that possible .

Post some images, without proof this is just getting silly.

Since i see Telus so called techs don't seem to care about the insane data usage and other problems that were never had on ShawCable .THe phone call i had with Telus tech that if the data usage is not found in a week i will go back to ShawCable