cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hdcp 2.2 error!!!

RyanM
Neighbour
Just bought Sony str-dn1080 receiver and hooked my 60” plasma tv and optik box thru receiver. When I power on cable box it comes up breifly on tv screen but then cuts out and gives hdcp 2.2 error and to check HDMI cable. This box works when I plug directly into tv and my android box works thru receiver with exact same HDMI. Is there a update from TELUS for the box or is this box shot?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are two HDMI out sockets on the back of that box, have you tried the TV in the non-ARC one?

If you're just powering up the set top box and see the initializing screen, the reason you don't see the error right away is that HDCP doesn't kick in until the operating system is loaded. It's like you can't log in to Windows until Windows is loaded. HDCP is a hardware based copy protection system and it basically needs both devices to talk to each other properly. We know the Arris box is able to talk to your TV properly but not when the receiver is in between. If the repeater built in to the receiver isn't passing HDCP properly it'll result in an error.

Next question, is your TV HDCP 2.2 compatible? What model do you have? 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sometimes receivers don't pass HDCP properly. More often than not the receiver is the issue.

Which Telus box do you have?
What port on the receiver is it connected to?
What port is the TV connected to?
Does your TV support ARC? (Plasma TVs are old and won't have ARC support)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Tv box is the Arris. Tv is plugged into HDMI out and cable box into sat-cable HDMI in. The plasma has Arc support and I’m plugged into that HDMI outlet. I’ve read that maybe my only option is HDMI splitter between the cable box and receiver. Weird thing is that when I first power up the TELUS box, is that I see the initializing start up screen for brief second and then cuts out and support error.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are two HDMI out sockets on the back of that box, have you tried the TV in the non-ARC one?

If you're just powering up the set top box and see the initializing screen, the reason you don't see the error right away is that HDCP doesn't kick in until the operating system is loaded. It's like you can't log in to Windows until Windows is loaded. HDCP is a hardware based copy protection system and it basically needs both devices to talk to each other properly. We know the Arris box is able to talk to your TV properly but not when the receiver is in between. If the repeater built in to the receiver isn't passing HDCP properly it'll result in an error.

Next question, is your TV HDCP 2.2 compatible? What model do you have? 

Yes I’ve tried both HDMI ports on tv as well as on receiver. The tv is Panasonic TC-PST60. Bought back in late 2013 so I’m guessing not hdcp 2.2 compatible.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

When the Arris box is talking to the receiver it'll be at HDCP 2.2 which then the TV doesn't recognize and then you get the error. When the Arris box is connected to the TV it's using whatever older HDCP standard the TV supports. An HDMI splitter is likely the best and cheapest option unless you can connect the audio from the TV to the receiver without using HDMI.

buckycat
Leader

I have the same Sony receiver and have had no issues.

Do you have a newer 4K tv? I’d like to keep the plasma for time being as nothing wrong with it yet

Yes, a 1 year old LG tv, so the issue is your tv not the receiver.