cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre internet through coax

raiders86
Just Moved In

Right now i am running fibre internet in my house.  Telus last year installed a little box behind my optik tv boxes where one end Coax goes in and out the other is ethernet that you then plug into the optik box to get your TV signal.  I have actually been using that box to hardwire my xbox into and now get 150 MBPS down. 

My question is if I cancel my Telus optik TV (keep the internet) will I lose internet capabilities through that little Coax to ethernet box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SLR-004
Just Moved In

The MOCA adapter is considered part of Telus equipment, if you remove TV service it will be uninstalled. Since your internet service is provided on fibre you will keep the same modem and same ONT (converts fibre to internet) so you should just emulate the wiring and purchase an adapter, it works the same way. You could just run an ethernet cable from modem, however, and it should be the same.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It may depend if Telus considers the adapters part of the Optik hardware, or not. You can look for MOCA adapters to see the cost to install your own adapters.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

So even if I cancel optik TV the Coax through out my home will still carry a internet signal from the Fibre internet?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

As long as you have the Actiontec T3200 gateway and the MoCA adapters on your devices, it should work. If you end up with TV from Shaw, that will break things.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

SLR-004
Just Moved In

The MOCA adapter is considered part of Telus equipment, if you remove TV service it will be uninstalled. Since your internet service is provided on fibre you will keep the same modem and same ONT (converts fibre to internet) so you should just emulate the wiring and purchase an adapter, it works the same way. You could just run an ethernet cable from modem, however, and it should be the same.