cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber hardwire options

Abbacus86
Just Moved In

I am interested in switching from Shaw Cable Internet/TV to Telus Fiber/Optik TV.
My townhouse recently had the fiber terminated in a first floor closet next to my front door with no modem or ONT installed. The issue is I'd need a hardwired Ethernet connection off the modem, which will need to be in a bedroom 2 floors above this closet so I can connect it to my own router. I cannot use wireless Internet due to the needing low latency and packet loss for gaming. I am also not interested in MoCA due to the speed and other limitations. I was told by the contractors doing the terminating run to inquire about Invisilight, a clear fiber cable that may be able to be run from the termination point along the ceiling into the bedroom where the Modem could be placed. Is there a way to get a quote on installation using this product? I don't see a direct contact form anywhere.

Alternatively, if Invisilight is not an option would Telus do a 1 cable Cat5E/6 wire drop from the upper bedroom with my PC/router to the first floor termination point?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A few comments:

• You will want to feed your TV by Ethernet from the Telus-supplied router. You’ve not indicated where the TV will be.
  • Additional Ethernet runs are usually billed at $75+ per hour. You may find a cheaper option from another installer.
  • Using the Invisilight product would move the ONT to the endpoint of the new fibre optic install. You then need to run Ethernet to the TV. Do you want all this stuff in your bedroom?
  • I doubt a Telus will install Invisilight, but default to Cat6 or Cat5e cable. Maybe a do-it-yourself project?
  • If your dwelling is fairly new, there should be Ethernet runs to many of the rooms.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A few comments:

• You will want to feed your TV by Ethernet from the Telus-supplied router. You’ve not indicated where the TV will be.
  • Additional Ethernet runs are usually billed at $75+ per hour. You may find a cheaper option from another installer.
  • Using the Invisilight product would move the ONT to the endpoint of the new fibre optic install. You then need to run Ethernet to the TV. Do you want all this stuff in your bedroom?
  • I doubt a Telus will install Invisilight, but default to Cat6 or Cat5e cable. Maybe a do-it-yourself project?
  • If your dwelling is fairly new, there should be Ethernet runs to many of the rooms.

NFtoBC

valiaig
Advocate
Oddly enough they didn’t even used ONT in my install that was 3 days ago.. Infact I had no Idea that T3200M support SFP trancievers. I was shocked when my technician pulled out one from the box. I was like: Oh God I can believe it. He was actually surprised to see on my face that I saw or used one. He was like don’t say that you know what that is? I said that I actually do )) I build Fibre based VPN... Didn’t expect to see this grade of industrial level stuff on residential setup in Canada... For at least 5 more years.

I now think to upgrade all my CAT cabling to take advantage of this and buy RJ45 based 10G NIC on AliExpress for my Mac and PCs

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I’m surprised they are using SFP in the T3200M, simply because it is usually not affixed to a permanent location, allowing for damage to the Fibre Optic cable as folks mess about with it.

NFtoBC

0tl8b5P0TVezPmLjyu1TrA.jpg

Here is how tech did it, he also removed coax clutter to be safe

I'm surprised (well not actually) that Telus doesn't use better (or at least some) strain relief device to help protect the fibre cable between the thicker cable sheath and the router.  It would be best if they were able to pull the fully sheathed black cable all the way to the demarc near to the router.  Failing that they should provide strain relief wherever the fibre cable might be subjected to bending or kinking. Simply coiling the cable and securing it with a few tie downs is not much protection.