Extremely slow speeds with Apple App Store updates

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

FrostyOfTheNorth
Friendly Neighbour

For the last week or so I've been having a problem updating apps from Apple's App Store with my Telus Internet 50 plan.  Updates are insanely slow.  e.g. a 5 MB app update takes 5-10 minutes.  Larger updates (like Microsoft Word) time out, presumably because it's so slow.

Details:

- Speedtest.net reports proper speeds for this connection.

- App updates are slow both on wifi (iPhone 6, iPad 3) and wired connections (iTunes on PC).
- App updates are fast on every other connection I've tried (including my Telus cell connection).

Any ideas?

khangt1
Helpful Neighbour

This is the fourth or fifth day so far.

khangt1
Helpful Neighbour

The problem is between TELUS and the Apple CDNs.

Community Power User
Community Power User

See the other posts on this topic.  The use of a VPN may speed things for you.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

For starters.... I find any Microsoft update is slow on my iPad.  Thus I update everything else before trying to update the Office applications.

Yes, I too noticed app updates slower in recent days.  I don't think it's Optik.... but something wrong with iTunes.

Hmm... doing a quick Google I notice others reporting slow iTunes updates too.... possibly because of iOS 9 rollout.

mustarduser91
Resident

this is pissing me off. it's definitely something to do with telus because i just went over to a buddy's house and through their shaw wifi, my music downloaded just fine. 

at home, everything looks fine and dandy, but when i try to download apps and music, FROM APPLE, everything is super sluggish. apple support is pretty useless, spent a few hours doing that. telus support is even worse, spent only a few minutes with them.

i tried every reliable dns i could find, nothing could solve the problem.

FrostyOfTheNorth
Friendly Neighbour

khang1: I spoke with Telus support a few minutes.  After a long back and forth, they said they're check with their network team and will get back to me tomorrow.

@NFtoBC: I know I could use a VPN, but I shouldn't need to.

xl: The MS Office apps are very large (300+ MB each) but ALL app updates are extremely slow.  And I don't see these speed issues if I switch to my Telus cell connection or if I try on a Shaw connection.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@FrostyOfTheNorth

" I know I could use a VPN, but I shouldn't need to."

I fully agree you shouldn't need to use a VPN, and THIS year I was fortunate, and did not need to, but to save frustration, and download your updates before Telus is able to address the issue, you could apply the workaround.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
khangt1
Helpful Neighbour

Ugh. I'm disappointed there's still no official outage posted for tier 1 frontline so they don't waste everyone's time with bull**bleep** troubleshooting. I tweeted to @TELUSSupport 2 days ago and they said they were "already investigating."

Sounds like we're still at square 1.

khangt1
Helpful Neighbour
khangt1
Helpful Neighbour

yeah, it's full speed if i go through a vpn. normally vpns, with their additional complexity add slowdown and latency but it's night-and-day faster than the default telus connection to the apple cdn. i'm using the free 500mb/month tunnelbear (they're canadian) vpn app on ios.

mustarduser91
Resident

idk if ya'll tried this, but i used a dns that fixed it for me temporarily: 114.114.114.114

you should try it, at least i can download my apps and music now :/

Community Power User
Community Power User

114.114.114.114 is the Chinese one. I've gotten a big boost using a pair from Australia :

59.167.117.102 / 59.167.191.158

Took my time remaining from 3 days to just under an hour on the new version of OSX (6GB).

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
khangt1
Helpful Neighbour

"There are some transit links towards Apple causing the download issues. It's being addressed with no ETR that we know of."

khangt1
Helpful Neighbour

Seems better today. Not full speed, but noticeably better.

FrostyOfTheNorth
Friendly Neighbour

khangt1: it's no better whatsoever for me.  Just trying to download a 35 MB app.  It's been 2-3 minutes now and the progress is only at 2-3%.  Where is that "transit links" quote from?

I have tried changing DNS but that doesn't make any difference for me.

walter_white
Connector

It's not better for me either.  Starting to get VERY frustrating as I am now on day 3 of trying to download El Capitan and still have apparently 19 hours to go. Another frustrating part of this is when Googling the issue, it seems that TELUS had the exact same problem last October when Yosemite came out (there's actually a thread in the TELUS neighbourhood about it).  It wasn't really acknowledged by TELUS last year either and seemed eventually resolve itself.

crook1
Resident

I have had the same problem for 5 days and had 2 Telus techs here for 2 hours trying to fix my home installation yesterday.  They kept pointing to the Speedtest results and said it is an Apple problem.  The one thing that bothers me about the Speedtest results is that the techs picked the server they wanted the download time tested against. When I did the same test after they left, Speedtest picked a Toronto server - here is how Speedtest picks the server: "Your location is determined based on your IP address. We primarily rely on an internally developed method, which positions you on the map and determines your closest testing server...."  I am concerned that if Speedtest picks the wrong server, then all of my internet traffic will be degraded if it gets routed to Toronto and back because Telus has coded something wrong. 

This might be larger than an Apple/Telus issue - I ran the Speedtest several times over the past 24 hours, and despite paying for 50mb download speed I was getting no better than 25 - 27 mb over several tests at a time.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Highlighted
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

This is not just a TELUS issue. Carriers all over the world are experiencing similar issues. AT&T has threads about it & some European carriers. 

If your download speeds for everything else are not impacted, chances are something has changed between the carriers and Apple. Could be a capacity issue. 

iPhone power user
Flames_89
Resident

Having the same problem.  Speeds are too slow to use apple music, El Captain has been downloading for 3 days and App updates take several hours.  Contacted Telus support last night and they referenced the same issue "problem with transit links towards apple".  All Apple services works fine if I connect though Telus LTE hotspot on my phone (+20 Mb/s downloads).  Problem only occurs when connecting through Telus home internet.  Issue is becoming very frustrating.  I certainly hope it is resolved soon.