cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Optik TV range

tonycolin
Neighbour

I want to hook up a TV in my garage but currently my OPTIK tv modem is out of range for that, what are my solutions here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The best option would be to run an Ethernet cable to your garage. Since it is not covered by the electric code, you could use just about anything as a conduit to get it from the house to the garage.

You could place your Actiontec router in a location to better cover your garage.

Other options get more expensive, and more difficult to implement, as any Wi-Fi hardware you purchase needs to support the multicast streams Optik needs for operation.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The best option would be to run an Ethernet cable to your garage. Since it is not covered by the electric code, you could use just about anything as a conduit to get it from the house to the garage.

You could place your Actiontec router in a location to better cover your garage.

Other options get more expensive, and more difficult to implement, as any Wi-Fi hardware you purchase needs to support the multicast streams Optik needs for operation.

NFtoBC

Cost i dont mind, I'd prefer to keep it wireless if possible.  I was under the assumption that the wi-fi extenders only extend the wi-fi network.  They extend the optik tv network as well? 

"Other options get more expensive, and more difficult to implement, as any Wi-Fi hardware you purchase needs to support the multicast streams Optik needs for operation."

Could you tell me which ones?

Thanks

@tonycolin wrote:

Cost i dont mind, I'd prefer to keep it wireless if possible.  I was under the assumption that the wi-fi extenders only extend the wi-fi network.  They extend the optik tv network as well? 

You're right. Currently, the wi-fi extenders only extend the wi-fi network and not the optik TV network.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@tonycolin wrote:

Could you tell me which ones?

Thanks

With a bit of research I could likely find a long list of ones that DON'T work, but that wouldn't be particularly helpful........

You're probably to look at the suggestion @Exhile offered.

NFtoBC

Thanks for all the quick replies, looks like the most economical solution is to buy an apple tv, download the optik app and stream it from there.  

Nvm: 

After doing some research apple tv does not support the optik app, hmm..

@tonycolin wrote:

Thanks for all the quick replies, looks like the most economical solution is to buy an apple tv, download the optik app and stream it from there.  

Nvm: 

After doing some research apple tv does not support the optik app, hmm..

Are you trying to utilize a 4K HDR TV? The optik app for iOS/Android doesn't display in 4K.

Exhile
Ambassador

Have you downloaded and tried the Optik TV app for iOS/Android or the watchoptik.telus.com website? You could use a couple of Wi-Fi boosters to extend the range to your garage. Maybe the upcoming firmware update for the T3200M will allow the 5GHz wireless TV signal to use the extended range of the WiFi booster to your garage but that's a big "IF".