cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet over coax by two Telus modem

Alex666
Just Moved In

My house is old and only has coax outlets. So is it really possible to get another room internet over coax by another telus modem?

I know it usually needs HPNA, but its price is near another telus t3200m.

So I got another t3200m and have it connected to main modem by coax.

I did get internet from second modem through its lan port and wifi. But it always get conflicted with main modem from time to time even I changed second modem' IP address. Whenever I got assigned IP address from second modem, there is no internet. And even sometimes when I connected to main modem, I ended up with getting a IP address assigned by second modem. 

How do I properly setup second modem when connecting to main modem by coax? By the way, the first modem is connected to internet by WAN port.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rc
Rockstar

I think one of the problems you are having is caused by having two dhcp servers running on the same network. I don't think you can disable the dhcp service on the t3200, so you you will need to work around this problem. The following may work, no guarantees.

Both routers will need to be on the same subnet and the two routers set up with different ip addresses, for example 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.

The next step would be to set up the second routers dhcp range to be different than the main router, for example starting at 192.168.0.10 and ending at 192.168.0.10 (scope of 1 address).

This should get rid of the conflict.

Now if a device that gets assigned the address 192.168.0.10 has communication problems then you will have to permanently assign this address to a dummy MAC address.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Might be simplest to get the necessary MOCA adapters, and extend your network with devices designed for the purpose, rather than trying to cobble something together with devices not so designed.

Alternately, you can use Telus Boost Wi-Fi devices as a wireless bridge.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

rc
Rockstar

I think one of the problems you are having is caused by having two dhcp servers running on the same network. I don't think you can disable the dhcp service on the t3200, so you you will need to work around this problem. The following may work, no guarantees.

Both routers will need to be on the same subnet and the two routers set up with different ip addresses, for example 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.

The next step would be to set up the second routers dhcp range to be different than the main router, for example starting at 192.168.0.10 and ending at 192.168.0.10 (scope of 1 address).

This should get rid of the conflict.

Now if a device that gets assigned the address 192.168.0.10 has communication problems then you will have to permanently assign this address to a dummy MAC address.