cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Wired House

ShawnSproule
Helpful Neighbour

Hopefully I explain this well - if any additional clarification, please let me know.

The townhouse I'm in was pre-wired with CAT-5e throughout, but most of the jacks throughout go unused.  Currently the only ones that are used are behind the TV (where the modem and PVR reside) and a jack in the master bedroom for a second Optik box.  As far as I can tell, these are the only two jacks that are currently getting an internet signal through them.

I'm looking at moving a few things and converting one of the spare bedrooms to a bit of a gaming room.  Because it'd be used for online gaming, the ideal situation would be to have a hardwired connection, but I'm unsure of what I need to do here.  Here's where I hope the explanation is clear...

The ethernet jack that the modem is plugged into has two ports.  One comes into the modem from the wall, the other goes from one of the four modem ports back into the wall.  This port is the one that handles the TV upstairs.  I've tried looking through forums and such, but I haven't seen anything that looks quite the way this one is set up.

Looking in the panel, I have a POTS splitter, but I'm trying to figure out how exactly this is working.  It appears that the jack in the living room is what gets the signal, but then the modem sends it back to the panel which then reroutes it upstairs.

I guess the question is going to be - is there an easy way to get this routed to one of the other bedrooms, or am I just going to have to cave and get a tech out here to take a look at it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Either choice is equally viable.

You could also  build jumpers between the 'other half' of each current pinout, and the new patch panel, or cut some short Ethernet cables in half, and connect between the 'other half' and the switch you would buy. 

Lots of options, but yes, you are on the right track.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

This is what should have been installed in your cabinet for the Ethernet side of things.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"