cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont care about your security

mrD
Neighbour

I hate to make such a bold statement in the subject here but its clear as day.  This morning I woke up to find the Telus Optik box that serves the my neighborhood wide open. I thought maybe some tech had to run back to his van or something but half hour later.....nothing. I called Telus and notified them (after sitting on hold for over and hour transferred in circles) and spoke to four individuals including a supervisor. They indicated that they would have someone there in 4-5 hours. When asked if they were not concerned about their customers security or tampering, the Manager Jodain, advised me that its ALMOST impossible to tamper with it. I then asked why they cant have someone just come and lock the thing as it would take 1 minute to accomplish. She then kept repeating herself basically telling me she was doing me a favor by getting someone out today. I explained that I've been watching this thing and sitting on hold for a total of over 2 hours and she followed up by saying she can assure me my information hasn't been compromised. i asked how she can assure me after she just said she cant guarantee me of that. She had no explanation. What a waste.

I just hope that that our areas network security hasn't been compromised. Especially considering they cant even confirm it was a Telus technician that left it open.

I don't know if I can stay with them considering I appear to care more about my neighborhoods security then they do. Im waiting for this tech and ensuring no one is tampering with the box (if someone hasnt already). Additionally, I cant even close it so it appears locked. It just flys back open.

She said she would give me two VOD compensation. I told her I don't want it.

Is this lack of consideration for customer security normal Protocol?

6 REPLIES 6

mrD
Neighbour

Forgot to add a picture of this box that's on a main street, locked open and "cant be tampered with".

telus box.jpg

There is zero risk to individual customer security if anyone wanted to tamper with this FDH. The worst thing that could happen is all those fibre strands could get unplugged which would knock everyone out of service and it would be quite a time consuming process to ensure each one was plugged back in to the right port and splitter. This is just a terminal for routing light from the OLT in the local central office to the customer's premise. If it's still open, you can easily shut the doors by lifting the bars at the bottom that serve as wind gust locks and turn the handle to latch it. Take care not to pinch any of the fibre strands in the door frame when closing it.

I'm concerned that the local field manager, if they were informed, did not treat this with a higher priority. What city is this?

Surrey BC. I attempted to shut it as you suggested previously but it wouldnt close all the way and wind kept blowing it wide open

polecat
All-Star

What security the boxes that contain the  wiring can be pried open with a big screw driver . The worst would be someone cut all the ends of of the fibre wires. It would take a day or two to  repair them Security. Any other provider has the same problem with damaged.

I get it. Im just pissed to be honest that this is such a low priority to Telus even if the only risk was knocking out everyone's service. That in my opinion is reason enough to put this at the top of the list to have addressed. I guess ill just say who cares next time and leave and hope some kid doesnt trash it or spray water on it with a super soaker while having a water fight.

It should definitely be a high priority and anyone who works in the field will tell you that. The problem is the call centre agents don't have the ability to determine exactly what type of terminal it is that is open and don't really have a process to escalate other than trying to contact the local field manager. Calls reporting open terminals and access points is fairly common across both provinces and most of the time its just a small pedastal serving a couple customer with no physical dangers present or its a Shaw ped and Telus can't do anything about it.