cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your 4K channel actually adjust your tv?

TopShelf
Just Moved In

Hi guys, I have an LG OLED and have had 4K since it came to the market. 

I have the 4K PVR, I have the 4K speed required (optik) and my TV can produce 4K. 

When I use my Apple TV, or Xbox one X, when the signal is "4K" the HDR button comes on the TV. If it doesn't, the signal is already in a 4K mode. 

But when it comes to the Telus box, it can't actually adjust, meaning its only what you set your tv to be at (meaning the picture mode)

When I turn on TSN`1 the picture quality is the same as TSN4K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ts45
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

On your Optik STB connected to your 4K TV ensure that you update the 'aspect ratio' setting.  The setting should actually be called 'resolution', but regardless of it's name, set it to "2160p 60hz 4K". If your TV can support 2160p the setting will be applied. If not you will be asked to select another setting. Next time you watch 4K contenct, the resolution will be supported and TSN4K will look better than TSN1 (see my later comment). 

When you see a message on your TV about "HDR" it means that 4K HDR content is passing through your AV network to your TV and your TV detects it and can play it for you.  Most of Netflix 4K content is HDR these days, that's why you see the "HDR" message when watching Netflix on your Smart TV.   You should also see this message from your TV when watching Netflix directly via your Optik set top box (STB) or when watching 4K HDR On Demand on your Optik STB.  

Lastly you commented on TSN1 vs TSN4K.   When there are 4K broadcasts (actually filmed/produced/broadcast in 4K resolution) our guide will provide the programming details. You can also find the TSN 4K broadcast schedule online.  During all other times, the guide will say something like "next live event [date]" and will provide some high level info on the sport and teams scheduled to play.  During those times, you still see content.  This is typically TSN4 or sometimes TSN1 (not sure why it changes) HD programming shown on their 4K channel (TSN4K).  It's not broadcast in 4K, but I think it's passing through 4K equipment and gets "upconverted".  Maybe I'm just imagining it, but IMO it looks better, sharper, on my Samsung, and if what I want to watch happens to be on TSN4K that's my channel of choice despite the extra bandwidth I'm using. 

Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll also find that TSN4K isn't airing 4K content continuously. Most of it is still broadcast in HD.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

ts45
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

On your Optik STB connected to your 4K TV ensure that you update the 'aspect ratio' setting.  The setting should actually be called 'resolution', but regardless of it's name, set it to "2160p 60hz 4K". If your TV can support 2160p the setting will be applied. If not you will be asked to select another setting. Next time you watch 4K contenct, the resolution will be supported and TSN4K will look better than TSN1 (see my later comment). 

When you see a message on your TV about "HDR" it means that 4K HDR content is passing through your AV network to your TV and your TV detects it and can play it for you.  Most of Netflix 4K content is HDR these days, that's why you see the "HDR" message when watching Netflix on your Smart TV.   You should also see this message from your TV when watching Netflix directly via your Optik set top box (STB) or when watching 4K HDR On Demand on your Optik STB.  

Lastly you commented on TSN1 vs TSN4K.   When there are 4K broadcasts (actually filmed/produced/broadcast in 4K resolution) our guide will provide the programming details. You can also find the TSN 4K broadcast schedule online.  During all other times, the guide will say something like "next live event [date]" and will provide some high level info on the sport and teams scheduled to play.  During those times, you still see content.  This is typically TSN4 or sometimes TSN1 (not sure why it changes) HD programming shown on their 4K channel (TSN4K).  It's not broadcast in 4K, but I think it's passing through 4K equipment and gets "upconverted".  Maybe I'm just imagining it, but IMO it looks better, sharper, on my Samsung, and if what I want to watch happens to be on TSN4K that's my channel of choice despite the extra bandwidth I'm using. 

Hope this helps.