Does upload count towards your monthly data cap?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Ocman76
Neighbour

I was under the impression that only data you download counts towards the cap but I am not 100% sure.  Can anyone confirm?

JTL
Advocate

Upload does count, best option for you would be unlimited and/or a business plan.

Ocman76
Neighbour

Greeeeeeeeeeat.  Well I can't afford anything more than I'm paying right now so maybe I will switch to Shaw.  I am going over my limit and its just too expensive.  Shaw offers slightly worse speeds but no data cap and that is what really matters to me here.

Community Power User
Community Power User
For $15 you can get unlimited data addon and the first month is free. You can give Telus to discuss your account needs with them. If a long time customer, they might have some options available to you.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Ocman76
Neighbour

My service is already $95 a month which is my budget limit.  I have no contract with Telus and have only been with them about 7 months, I think its time to switch.

Lola
Rockstar

@Ocman76 wrote:

Shaw offers slightly worse speeds but no data cap and that is what really matters to me here.

I've never been on Telus home internet so I can't compare it to Shaw, all I can say is I've been on the same Shaw internet plan at home for almost 20 years, a plan so old it's not on the books anymore, and my internet is awesome. I work online at the office and at home, with worldwide clients and with much passing of large files, using Shaw in both places. At home I've never had an issue with speed, not even when I'm using my oldest computer, a 10-year-old HP laptop running Vista and a closeted version of Firefox. The office plan is different, but still no issue. This is not an ad for Shaw, btw. Cat LOL Just doing what I do.

I'll add, because I tell everybody this, your service speed will only ever be as good as your device, and device age has nothing to do with it, but device maintenance does. Your device is like a car, the best fuel in the world won't run a badly maintained car.

Kolby_G
Ambassador

@Ocman76 wrote:

Greeeeeeeeeeat.  Well I can't afford anything more than I'm paying right now so maybe I will switch to Shaw.  I am going over my limit and its just too expensive.  Shaw offers slightly worse speeds but no data cap and that is what really matters to me here.

Slightly worse? if you're going for upload Shaw's speeds are only 1/10th what Telus's are. This is the sole reason I switched to Telus from Shaw. Call Telus retentions, they might throw in unlimited for a year or so for free.

DeanD
Connector

@Lola wrote:

@Ocman76 wrote:

Shaw offers slightly worse speeds but no data cap and that is what really matters to me here.

I've never been on Telus home internet so I can't compare it to Shaw, all I can say is I've been on the same Shaw internet plan at home for almost 20 years, a plan so old it's not on the books anymore, and my internet is awesome. I work online at the office and at home, with worldwide clients and with much passing of large files, using Shaw in both places. At home I've never had an issue with speed, not even when I'm using my oldest computer, a 10-year-old HP laptop running Vista and a closeted version of Firefox. The office plan is different, but still no issue. This is not an ad for Shaw, btw. Cat LOL Just doing what I do.

I'll add, because I tell everybody this, your service speed will only ever be as good as your device, and device age has nothing to do with it, but device maintenance does. Your device is like a car, the best fuel in the world won't run a badly maintained car.

I'll just agree to disagree with you on most of what you've said. Yes, sometimes the device you use cannot use all the speed, especially over wireless connections, but wired connections can always handle the speed.  Your chosen router may not handle it, if you choose you use your own.

Now with that said, I was on Shaw for years as well, and since I work from home a lot, the internet was used to support clients of my company remotely.  During the day, the shaw connection was great.  As soon as kids came home from school and people started streaming Netflix, my connection went down from 100mbps down to about 12 or 13mbps.  This was a consistent nightly thing from about 3:30PM on the west coast, until about 11pm at night.  Shaw's upload speeds are also quite a bit slower than what Telus offers.  Like others have said, talk to retention to see if you can get unlimited for something within your budget.  At $95 it sounds like you are on Fibre 150/150.  Shaw offers nothing like that.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DeanD wrote:

At $95 it sounds like you are on Fibre 150/150.  Shaw offers nothing like that.

And, if on Fibre, an unlimited data option is not available. It is available to wireline customers only.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
DeanD
Connector
They offer the option to me in the Billing portal, and I'm on Fibre. I don't need it at 1TB/month, but the option is there to add it on to my account.
Highlighted
Kolby_G
Ambassador

@NFtoBC wrote:

@DeanD wrote:

At $95 it sounds like you are on Fibre 150/150.  Shaw offers nothing like that.

And, if on Fibre, an unlimited data option is not available. It is available to wireline customers only.

Fibre 150 definitly still has unlimited as an option. I have it, although for some reason I still see the button to add it to my account, lol.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DeanD @Kolby_G

Thanks for the correction, folks. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"