Do Powerline Adapters work with Telus?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Shaeyha
Resident

Hi all, 

I have a Telus 50 plan and although I get more than enough speed through 5G wifi, it doesn't stay stable enough to stream on Twitch or Youtube. I asked Telus if they could move my router but they said no. Has anyone had any success with using a powerline adapter for an ethernet connection? Looking through the forums, some people are saying they have issues with it and others are saying it works fine. The posts are a couple years old though so I'm not sure if they are reliable now. 

The only other option I have would be to drill holes on my wall so I can pull a wire through from my modem and connect it to my PC upstairs. I'd really rather not do that. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

Highlighted
Bomarr
Friendly Neighbour

I used some tp-link adapters for years. Internet worked perfectly fine with them, however, the TV would randomly drop out. I finally ran Ethernet in the house and the dropouts went away.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Powerline adapters have been known to cause severe pixelation issues if you also have Optik TV. You could get a range extender or bridge your existing modem (*if capable of bridging) and run a router like a TP-Link AC1900 in repeater mode.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
canucks4life
Ambassador

If you have coax wired near where your modem and computer are setup another good alternative would be MoCA.

Don't have IPTV anymore but when I did try switching over Powerline experienced pretty bad pixilation.

http://www.actiontec.com/products/14.php

Community Power User
Community Power User

One MoCA adapter is $90USD before tax/duty/shipping direct from Actiontec? ($145CAD on Amazon.ca) Ouch. Since the Actiontec T3200 modem is not very common yet, OP may not even have a MoCA capable modem and would have to buy two of those adapters. That's a very expensive alternative.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I got DLink Powerline adapters for nearly a year.... I have no Optik picture problems.

However I found the Powerline quality to be inconsistent.  Could be my heritage electrical wiring?  Could be some other electrical interference?  Could be distance in my home.

It's trial and error like getting rabbit ears.

canucks4life
Ambassador

@Nighthawk wrote:

One MoCA adapter is $90USD before tax/duty/shipping direct from Actiontec? ($145CAD on Amazon.ca) Ouch. Since the Actiontec T3200 modem is not very common yet, OP may not even have a MoCA capable modem and would have to buy two of those adapters. That's a very expensive alternative.

B&H photo online has a bonded pair kit for under $200 CAD incl duty...they work great but agree not the cheapest option.

My previous setup was HPNA via Trendnet TPA-311 adapters which were around $50 but have been discontinued...I could achieve max Internet plan bandwidth 50Mbps with decent ping times however ultimately was too limited for large network file transfers.

Powerline in my experience is pretty much impossible to predict until tested live in your residence maybe order a pair off BestBuy and try them out? D-link DHP-701AV were the last ones I purchased before switching over MoCA.

Community Power User
Community Power User

The problem is that buying these from the States is that if there is any kind of problem it'll be expensive to ship them back. They won't have a Canadian warranty if bought from a US store unless the manufacturer specifically states it will cover Canada.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
SCo
Ambassador

If you decide to try, then purchase locally so that it is returnable. With AC power line adapter, make sure not to plug them into power bar with surge protection, as they affect carrier frequency transmission.