Disney Circle and Telus Fiber ?- ( Parents please read)

TonyO
Resident

This device is magic for parents. I can turn on / off / set limits and filter internet access for my kids from my iphone.  Works great with the current actiontek routers, but doesn't support the new Fiber routers.  I understand it's a disney issue, but I'd like to see if there's an easy way around this.

Anyone had any luck?  if I can't find an easy answer I will be forced to move to SHAW instead of Telus Fiber.

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
Just plug your own router (one that is compatible with the circle) into port 1 on the ONT and configure as normal.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
ErinW
Friendly Neighbour

I can verify what WestCoasterBC says - I already have a separate router plugged in upstairs in our house that feeds through the main Telus one in the basement that we have always used for our wireless devices and it is currently working just fine with our Circle.

Since our new Telus router is much faster (T3200M) and more capacity, I thought I may as well get rid of this older small band router, but alas, I have now realized that the Circle won't work on the T3200M, so they and you say. I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy a new router but I guess I will anyways. I haven't tested Circle on the Telus router myself - maybe I should before I run out and buy another one. Not sure why my result would be any different than yours, or the fact that the Actiontec T3200M is listed as incompatible on the Circle website. But I can say I tried I guess.

ErinW
Friendly Neighbour

$100 (or way less on sale) on a secondary router is way simpler than changing all your services to Shaw... that would stink Smiley Tongue

Also, our house is wired with CAT5 (internet/ethernet) in all rooms, so I just have the router plugged into the wall in a more convenient location in the house than where our Telus router is located (mounted in the electrical box room). Then I have the Circle device plugged in next to it. So the secondary router doesn't have to be physically plugged into the port of the Telus router in order to work.

RobLilley
Neighbour

@WestCoasterBC

What do you mean by "into port 1 on the ONT" ?where is  port 1 and what is an ONT ?

Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have fibre, on the little white fiber terminal there will be several ports on it and only the first one will be active. Plug the cable from your own router's WAN port to that first port on the white fibre box.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
raeonix
Resident

Does anyone know if a wifi extender would do the trick? I have an actiontec WCB6200Q extender. Otherwise I'll just ask Telus to swap me for an older router Smiley Sad

Community Power User
Community Power User

@raeonix wrote:

Does anyone know if a wifi extender would do the trick? I have an actiontec WCB6200Q extender. Otherwise I'll just ask Telus to swap me for an older router Smiley Sad

What are you trying to accomplish?  There are a number of different directions taken by comments in this thread.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
RobLilley
Neighbour

@Nighthawk

I am afraid I don't have fibre. Telus has two DSL lines coming in (as we have 4K Optik). The Actiontec T3200M has the 4 yellow LAN ports, the 1 white WAN port, and an SFP port (?)

So would I simply plugin in the new router (a DLink DIR-842 AC1200 Dual Band) that is compatible with the Circle, into the WAN or LAN 1-4 port of the T3200M?

RobLilley
Neighbour

@raeonix

I am afraid I tried that. They no longer have older routers...all are now the T3200M.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, one of the LAN ports. You can bridge port 1if you wish, but it shouldn't be necessary to do so.

EDIT: you could also look to the Google Wi-Fi device, as it, too, allows detailed management of access, and does work with the T3200M.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@RobLilley - Plug it into port 1 and give it a try.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
bcgirly
Resident

Sorry, jumping into this a little late but just found the thread when researching the Circle. I have an airport extreme that I am currently not using. Are you saying I should plug it into the first port on the white module? What does that do? Are we still connecting through the Telus modem or through the airport at that point? Telus set everything up for me so I feel a little more out of the loop than I have on other set-ups which I have done myself. Am I getting rid of the telus router or bypassing it? Sorry, hopefully something in there makes sense Smiley Wink

Community Power User
Community Power User

@bcgirly

If you plug your AirPort Extreme into the ONT, you would be bypassing the Telus Actiontec. Why not describe what you are attempting to do, and we can provide more detail?

NFtoBC
Zaddermac1
Resident
@WestCoasterBC
I had seen a post you just posted this past April on another forum about Disney Circle, do you know of another way to use the Disney circle with the T3200 without having to add another router in to the TELUS one?