cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Smart Home Items

CityKitty
Organizer

I've tried to find the answer but can't so here goes.

I know the Telus network is smart and it switches between 2.4 and 5g on its own, however I would like to hook up a few wifi electrical outlets to be controlled by my phone. Everything is in working order but, when the software scans the network, it returns an error that it can only connect to 2.4. Is there a way to switch it so it can be seen or do I need to buy a different outlet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chicnstu
Leader

If you have a T3200 modem it has a feature for WiFi called smart steering that merges the 2 networks together and manages your devices. Some basic devices will see the network and see that it is running 5G and stop there not knowing they could also connect on the 2.4ghz band. 

You can disable smart steering by logging in to the modem GUI. Open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.254 in the address field. This brings up the modem's interface. Log in to the GUI with the username of 'admin' and the password found on the sticker on the modem itself. Look for the admin password, not the wifi password as this is different. Once you are logged in click on Wireless Setup and then Smart Steering. Disable that. You will then see 2 different networks broadcasting. One that is labeled -2.4G and one that is -5G. The downside to this is you will need to reconnect your devices to one of the new devices or just rename one of the networks to not have the -2.4G or -5G after the name. If you pick the rename route I suggest doing it on the 2.4G band as it has better range than 5G and the majority of your devices will have a more stable connection on it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Chicnstu
Leader

If you have a T3200 modem it has a feature for WiFi called smart steering that merges the 2 networks together and manages your devices. Some basic devices will see the network and see that it is running 5G and stop there not knowing they could also connect on the 2.4ghz band. 

You can disable smart steering by logging in to the modem GUI. Open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.254 in the address field. This brings up the modem's interface. Log in to the GUI with the username of 'admin' and the password found on the sticker on the modem itself. Look for the admin password, not the wifi password as this is different. Once you are logged in click on Wireless Setup and then Smart Steering. Disable that. You will then see 2 different networks broadcasting. One that is labeled -2.4G and one that is -5G. The downside to this is you will need to reconnect your devices to one of the new devices or just rename one of the networks to not have the -2.4G or -5G after the name. If you pick the rename route I suggest doing it on the 2.4G band as it has better range than 5G and the majority of your devices will have a more stable connection on it.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Chicnstu wrote:

. The downside to this is you will need to reconnect your devices to one of the new devices or just rename one of the networks to not have the -2.4G or -5G after the name. If you pick the rename route I suggest doing it on the 2.4G band as it has better range than 5G and the majority of your devices will have a more stable connection on it.

I'm going to bold text part of @Chicnstu's comment, as I believe it is easy to overlook:

"or just rename *one* of the networks"

It is easy to quickly read the comment and delete the frequency naming from BOTH radios, causing great confusion between your devices.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Worked perfectly! Thank you so much for your help and the quick response.