Component cables not working

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

MandyMac
Friendly Neighbour
Hello.

I'm using the red, green and blue component cable for my Telus cable box. Nothing is working or showing up. I have tried resetting everything, turning the cords around... Everything works when I use my hdmi cord. But I don't want to use the hdmi cord anymore.

Why could this be happening? I'm not overly familiar with component cables, especially these coloured ones. I am pretty sure they are the ones Telus sent me a few years ago when I was having hdmi problems. Now they won't work
Community Power User
Community Power User
Is it the same set top device as you had originally?

Is your TV set to component video?
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
MandyMac
Friendly Neighbour
No different cable box. Yes the tv is set to it. The tv popped up a message asking to use them, I had to hit ok.
Community Power User
Community Power User

Which Cable Box? I seem to recall a post from a while ago indicating some had the output connectors, but they were disabled.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
AGB1
Resident

Hi. I'm having the same issue with the component outputs.

I just got the new UIW8001. The installer gave us the mini-DIN breakout connector with L+R audio, composite video, and component video. The composite video works fine but the component outputs are "off". I checked the output pin "Yu" (green) at the back of the box using an oscilloscope - no signal. To confirm I had the correct component I am able to measure a Yu signal from my iPad.

I was on "Chat" with Telus and they didn't have a very good response. The support guy just said the component outputs are not active. I asked if he could connect remotely to change the firmware settings but I don't believe the guy knows very much. He also said to buy a HDMI-Component adaptor. Not acceptable. So, does anyone know how I might "login" to the PVR to change the component output setting to "active" or something?

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
End users can’t “login” to the boxes. Only Telus has access to the backend. Whether or not it can be “active” you would have to call Telus and see.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
rc
Ambassador

I suspect the HD component video output has been disabled to satisfy hollywood's copy protection requirements.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/02/goodbye-hd-component-video-hollywood-hastens-the-an...