cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get internet and TV working at same time

mobilekid
Just Moved In

Please forgive me for any wrong terminology.

Backstory and setup -

I had fiber line connected to a Netgear R7000 router, this supplied wifi to the basement as well as ethernet to other parts of the house.

The Ethernet lines were to a different part of the basement (entertainment room) and upstairs to the bonus room

Entertainment room had a 4 port switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1005D) connecting PS4, Android box, and TELUS 4K TV box

TELUS router (T3200M) was upstairs in the bonus room. It was connected to a TELUS 4K TV box via ethernet and the garage door system.

The Wi-Fi provided by the TELUS router upstairs isn't strong enough to get signal in the master bedroom so I also had a repeater as well.

Everything was working

Yesterday morning I replaced the Netgear R7000 router with a 8 port switch (TP-Link TL-SG108)and connected more ethernet lines (they were already existing just not used)

Everything was working fine.

Later that day I wanted to set the Netgear R7000 up in the kitchen, which is above the entertainment room and below the master bedroom to provide wifi to those areas and then I would get rid of the repeater. The ethernet in the kitchen wasn't working, so I went and found the ethernet line, plugged it into the 8 port switch and that's when internet stopped working in the house.

3 hours of running upstairs to check the TELUS router, restart it, run down stairs try the Netgear R7000 in the kitchen, run to the basement restart switch, change ports, and I finally got internet working with the following setup.

Basement:

Fiber line goes into TELUS T3200M, T3200M then outputs ethernet to bonus room, basement entertainment room, and somewhere else that I can't remember at the moment. It also provides wifi for basement area

Bonus Room:

Netgear R7000 is now in the bonus room and is connected to ethernet, it has stronger Wi-Fi ability so actually covers our master bedroom without need for a repeater. Connected to the Netgear R7000 is the TELUS TV box and the garage door opener, both via ethernet.

8port switch is not being used at all and is unplugged

Internet is working and I go to bed

This morning I try using TV in the bonus room and the TV plays for 10 seconds and then cuts out. Change the channel and it will play for 10 seconds then cut out. But the internet works...

I tried connecting the TV box directly with the bonus room Ethernet but it didn't seem to get any connection to the internet, but I had to go to work and didn't have time to play with it. 

So, after all that explaining, is it possible for the TV box to work when connected to the Netgear R7000? Technically with my original setup the basement TV box was running off the Netgear R7000.

1 REPLY 1

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your picture keeps freezing on the Netgear because you need to enable Multicast to support the Optik TV service. Generally as a rule we let the 3200 Handle the Optik TV service and a third party router to handle everything else (connected to port 1).