cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Do Install Until Ground Thaws?

KonkeyDong
Friendly Neighbour
My wife and I purchased a new home recently, and when I called both Telus and Shaw I was informed that supposedly the cable drop for our house is buried and an install can't be done for internet until the ground thaws in May.

My brother in law is an electrician and he took a look at the conduit at the side of the house and there's definitely fibre of some sort coming in next to the panel in the basement. Is it worth asking if someone can come out and take a look? I telecommute for my job and it would be great if I can get internet sooner rather than later.

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If that conduit is actually for the Telus fiber line you could try calling to see if they can do an install and be sure to mention the conduit and that there's something in it. Hopefully it is and that it's connected at both ends.

When they talk about trenching it's quite possible that on their end there may not be a record of the line being run through the conduit or that a conduit is there, or that lines were even run in the neighborhood. It would depend on if your homebuilder allowed Telus/Shaw access to the property during construction to run the lines into the house.  Now with brand new areas / houses there's always the possibilty that some kind of digging might be required depending on if / how things are connected. If it turns out to be worst case scenario then you may have to wait.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If that conduit is actually for the Telus fiber line you could try calling to see if they can do an install and be sure to mention the conduit and that there's something in it. Hopefully it is and that it's connected at both ends.

When they talk about trenching it's quite possible that on their end there may not be a record of the line being run through the conduit or that a conduit is there, or that lines were even run in the neighborhood. It would depend on if your homebuilder allowed Telus/Shaw access to the property during construction to run the lines into the house.  Now with brand new areas / houses there's always the possibilty that some kind of digging might be required depending on if / how things are connected. If it turns out to be worst case scenario then you may have to wait.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you, Nighthawk, for the advice!

Seems to be a lot of uncertainty on Telus's end about this, I talked to three different people on the live chat who gave me various answers and then was finally advised to call the fibre sales line, which I did. It sounds like the address is showing up as good to go, but there's a note from the people who do the installation (AFL maybe?) saying that our address needs to wait until spring thaw for them to access the cable drop. This time the rep offered to file a ticket with them to see if they can investigate whether it's already good to go or not. Fingers crossed!