Cables and Networking

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

NotVeryShort
Neighbour

Forgive me, I'm not the most knowledgeable about networking. I've been planning on swapping to Telus now that they've begun to offer Telus Fiber in my neighborhood, however, I had a few questions regarding networking. The house has an upstairs, a main floor, and a basement. There are TVs and desktop computers in all three areas.

Would it be possible to use a wired connection in all three areas without having to run an extremely long cable across the house or without tearing apart the house?

Community Power User
Community Power User

How do you expect to have a wired connection without a wire?

It is possible to use wireless points of presence or Access Points to which you can connect Ethernet devices which do not themselves have Wi-Fi.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
NotVeryShort
Neighbour

I had hoped that there was a way to potentially set up multiple modems or outright use the phone jack, rewiring it as a cat5 cable, for example. Would either be feasible?

Community Power User
Community Power User
Unless you’re willing to pull network cable runs. You’ll be looking into wireless mesh networks, if you have a large area to cover.

You could use existing phone lines and convert them to cat5 ONLY if they all run individually back to a common location (example panel, utility room etc.)

A good electrician could pull some cat5 runs easily in an hour or two. If you want hard wired badly enough. Some low voltage rings and terminate some jacks.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Community Power User
Community Power User

And depending on the age of the house, older phone lines have fewer wire pairs so it may not be possible to wire them up as CAT5.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
NotVeryShort
Neighbour

Noted! I believe they all run to a location next to the fuse box. Given the house is fairly old, would the phone lines be a bottle-neck in terms of connection? 

Edited: I just saw Nighthawk's reply, that answers my question.

The family almost always has numerous devices streaming or large files downloading at the same time. With the recent addition of the TVs, we had seen poor connectivity and high bandwidth usage. Given we were swapping over, soon, I had wanted to look at some options for installation to consider while the Telus technicians were present (instead of purchasing a router Smiley Tongue

Community Power User
Community Power User

Easy enough to check, if you have 8 wires in your phone runs it’s cat5, anything less you’ll be back to square one.

E3B972FB-8A1B-4850-A6C6-529C5CFD7188.jpeg

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
NotVeryShort
Neighbour

Welp. Back to square one, boys!

Community Power User
Community Power User

Have a look at this article for some ideas about home networking options.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
rc
Ambassador

If you house has coax cables they could be used to provide ethernet connections. The individual cable runs must not contain any splitters.

Telus installers used to install moca adapters on ends of the coax runs, not sure if they still do.

MOCA adapter can be expensive if you have to purchase them privately.