cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Fire TV Edition + Cable

LeBronJames
Organizer

Hello I recently bought a new smart TV which had Amazon Fire built in, one of the features is you can use Alexa to change channels if you connect an antenna cable or a cable box. After trying to plug the cables in the back I couldn't seem to get it to work, the current TV setup right now is; wall coax -> gateway -> ethernet to cable box -> HDMI to TV (this setup doesnt allow Alexa to be used) I've also tried wall coax -> TV and tried to scan channels but it didn't work. Sorry I don't really know how to work this out, but its suppose to look like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WozsvOngbIw  and here it says you can connect a cable box https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202153600 , there is also an option on the TV to scan Cable Only. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Alexa is only compatible with very specific devices, and only a limited few at this time. Also to use Alexa in general you'll need an Echo in the home somewhere.

One key thing to remember is Optik TV is not cable. It's IPTV, which is very different. I've seen nothing to show that Fire TV + Alexa is compatible with or able to control IPTV or cable set top boxes at this time.

That video you linked instructs you on using an OTA antenna, not a cable box, let alone an IPTV box. There are instructions on connecting a set top box and other devices to the Fire TV but no mention of Alexa being able to directly control the connected set top boxes.  Some Alexa features are also only available in the US as well.

Wall coax to TV won't work if you have Optik TV and it's using the coax lines since Optik is IPTV based and not old school cable TV based (ie Shaw). Very different signals.

Telus does currently have a Google Assistant skill in beta for Optik TV. Nothing for Alexa yet. Telus only has an Alexa skill for dealing with Telus Mobility. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Alexa is only compatible with very specific devices, and only a limited few at this time. Also to use Alexa in general you'll need an Echo in the home somewhere.

One key thing to remember is Optik TV is not cable. It's IPTV, which is very different. I've seen nothing to show that Fire TV + Alexa is compatible with or able to control IPTV or cable set top boxes at this time.

That video you linked instructs you on using an OTA antenna, not a cable box, let alone an IPTV box. There are instructions on connecting a set top box and other devices to the Fire TV but no mention of Alexa being able to directly control the connected set top boxes.  Some Alexa features are also only available in the US as well.

Wall coax to TV won't work if you have Optik TV and it's using the coax lines since Optik is IPTV based and not old school cable TV based (ie Shaw). Very different signals.

Telus does currently have a Google Assistant skill in beta for Optik TV. Nothing for Alexa yet. Telus only has an Alexa skill for dealing with Telus Mobility. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Though it may not work for Alexa skills, you may be able to use the built-in Fire TV by connecting an additional Ethernet cable between the gateway, and the Ethernet port on the TV.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Correction sorry, Alexa is built in to the TV itself but I guess it doesn't matter at this point, I was trying to use its native channel guide and I was thinking if you connect the cable to the TV the channels would show up on the built in guide so I don't have to use the Telus box thus allowing me to change channels with the built in Alexa. And yes I am using an Ethernet cable to use the Fire TV along with its apps, also thanks for the info on IPTV I thought Telus was cable lol 🙂