550 5.1.1 recipient rejected e-mail

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Cid
Neighbour

Hi. Any answers please and thanks?

I have a sporadic problem when e-mailing to domains other than Telus.net, as follows:-

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: <Something or anything>
Sent: 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'X' on 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM
550 5.1.1 <X@btinternet.com> recipient rejected

Y (Y@shaw.ca) on 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM
550 5.1.1 <Y@shaw.ca> recipient rejected

Z (Z@me.com) on 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM
550 5.1.1 <Z@me.com> recipient rejected

and so on. The problem happens with Outlook 2013 as well as Pegasus. This happens for individual addresses as well as those to a small group who are on domains other than Telus. I tried increasing time out limit to no avail. Intended recipients assure me that I'm not blocked or spamming. My own address is included with the group. The System Admin rejection message arrives before the message from myself, which makes me think that the message is not getting out of the Telus system.

I can't find a support e-mail address for Telus, but I did try live chat which consumed 2½ hours and resolved nothing. Any ideas please?

jrueger
Ambassador

There are many reasons for for the 550 5.1.1 error ... the most common of which is an incorrect email address of the recipient in the first place.  Often the auto-complete address provided by your email client can be corrupted so manually type the entire email address rather than accepting the auto-complete and see what happens.

If the problem just started happening it is possible that various MX records in either the Telus DNS system or the individual host email or DNS systems has become screwed up.  This usually happens when the MX record changes and DNS systems are catching up to the propagation of the new MX record information.

Or it could be that there is a problem with the recipient host email system(s) ... even though they say they are not blocking you there could be mis-configurations in their systems that lead to the rejections.  This seems unlikely if it is more than one email system rejecting your emails.  That could point to spam filters being used by all of the email systems ...

Cid
Neighbour

Thanks jrueger for your reply. I still think though that the problem is in the Telus system somewhere, as from a group of about 12 addresses, those to a non-Telus account are instantly rejected and Telus addresses go through.

Community Power User
Community Power User

jrueger is correct for two of the common causes for this type of error. The recipients themselves are usually not the problem for this or even aware of it happening. If there was a change in DNS that could do it for one server, maybe two by some really rare chance. Three or more would be rather unlikely.

Mailer-daemon error messages come back extremely fast if there's any failure, even from a remote server. Can you post the full text of one of those error messages (of course with the usernames redacted like your original post) just to see more clearly where the problem could be?

Tech support will be able to go through basic troubleshooting to ensure your Telus email settings are correct but I highly doubt a single one of them would be able to resolve an actual server issue or even have any way to access anything related to it.

Few other questions:

• How often does it happen?
  • In the group email, were there just a total of 12 recipients or were there more on any given message? In a day, how many total recipients are you sending mail to? (on residential internet accounts there are limits)
  • Is your email a regular telus.net one or a different provider? Additionally, are you using Telus' smtp server to send email out?
  • Have you considered using an actual mailing list service instead? There are free ones out there.
  • And just to rule anything else out: are you using the default DNS settings on your PC or another provider like Google or OpenDNS?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Cid
Neighbour

Thanks very much, Nighthawk. Here's the error message from System Administrator:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb
Sent: 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'a' on 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM
550 5.1.1 <a@shaw.ca> recipient rejected

b (b@shaw.ca) on 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM
550 5.1.1 <b@shaw.ca> recipient rejected

c (c@me.com) on 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM
550 5.1.1 <c@me.com> recipient rejected

d on 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM
550 5.1.1 <d@gmail.com> recipient rejected

e@gmail.com on 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM
550 5.1.1 <e@gmail.com> recipient rejected

f (f@shaw.ca) on 21-Jun-17 2:47 PM
550 5.1.1 <f@shaw.ca> recipient rejected

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I send a group message it goes to 13 addresses, 7 go through to Telus addresses, the above fail and the intended recipient gets nothing. It happens occasionally with single messages to individual non-Telus accounts too. The problem is inconsistent. No trouble for a couple of weeks and then it's back. On one occasion I tried to contact a regular address 4 times for something important with no luck, and the 5th time worked. I don't usually send more than half a dozen messages a day. My e-mail account is a regular domestic telus.net, I haven't looked at mailing list services yet and as far as I know I'm using default settings, except that I increased the server time out to 2 minutes. Thanks again. 

mandb
Resident

Anyone find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem.

KevinJ
Resident

Same issue here.
Intermittent Recipient Rejected messages.
Usually from non-telus accounts.
I have three laptops in the house all telus accounts two do this very frequently.
I have even had it happen when using smtp commands through telnet!

KevinJ
Resident

250 mtlp000074 hello [108.181.247.101], pleased to meet you

mail from:XXXX@telusplanet.net

250 2.1.0 <XXXX@telusplanet.net> sender ok

rcpt to:YYYY@gmail.com

550 5.1.1 <YYYY@gmail.com> recipient rejected

The next test worked then intermittently failed.
Always works for Telus addresses.

doggief
Resident

Was a solution ever found to this problem? I have been having the same problem for the last month.

Community Power User
Community Power User