4k compatible HD Boxes and list of telus equipment

cafekief
Ambassador

Will telus this year or next bring to us the next generation 4k compatible PVR's and Set top boxes?

is there a link to all of telus's equipment in a list?

Community Power User
Community Power User
The only answer is NO. 4K/UHD is only being pushed hard by TV manufacturers to sell TVs.

• None of the channels are broadcasting in 4K. Most aren't even broadcasting in 1080p still. Some are still broadcasting 480p.
  • Extremely little content exists in 4K to justify the switch to any company.
  • The global infrastructure does not exist for 4K yet and will take a very long time before it is.
  • 4K will require a massive amount of bandwidth. A complete overhaul and rebuild of the fiber optic system would be required before 4K would ever be considered.
  • And lastly, who do you think will pay for the massive network upgrades needed to get 4K to the majority of Optik subscribers?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Community Power User
Community Power User

4K is like the big 3D push a while back. We all know what happened to those 3D tv's...

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
rayrayjj
Rockstar

Well I sure can tell the difference on my Netflix on my 4k tv or my ultra HD tv to my 1080p tv because Netflix is 4k or ultra HD,so you can say its way in the future but there's a big diff on Netflix..iv watched (underworld)and( Pacific rim) side by side on my 4k Tv and my 1080p and there was a huge difference in picture quality..Its just like everyone said about 1080p and now you cant find a 720p tv unless you go to Walmart.And I do have the internet power to run 2 TV's on ultra HD.I think if you  want to pay for it they should provide it like Xfinity does in the states,the people on telus 50 or telus 100 can afford it so let the person pick what they want just like Netflix..It just depends on how much you want to spend,I would be willing to pay a extra 50 to 75$ more for ultra HD services..And for 3d, I just rented transformers 3d on optic to watch with my son tonight,so some people still do watch and use the 3d TVs,just because you don't have one does mean other people that have them don't use them.

Symtex
Advisor

It's too early for 4k. Heck, TELUS doesn't even offer 1080p out of the current STB. I don't think the network is ready for 4k. You will have wait a little longer

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Ya,I don't think the U.S.A even offer's it yet,Roku 4 will stream 4k..My one samsung blueray player f7500 upscales to 4k quality..And my optic box let's you choose 1080p,I think it's just for vod..

Community Power User
Community Power User

It will be just for the 3 shows on VOD for Comcast. I doubt the American networks will be broadcasting in 4K any time soon.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Community Power User
Community Power User

They barely do 1080P let alone 4k..

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
rayrayjj
Rockstar

Ya,Xfinity offer's NBC and the USA network on VOD and you have to use a Samsung TV from what I have read...

cafekief
Ambassador

thanks for all the info, what a list for all there equipment? =) 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Their equipment hasn't been released yet. The Samsung TVs will have a VOD app and there are only 3 shows they currently plan to release on VOD only as 4K.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

For 4k or ultra HD Netflix you need a minimum 15mbps of internet power to stream in full 4k, so you need at least internet 50 and a download speed to your tv or blueray player of a minimum 20mbps..

cafekief
Ambassador

o, ok, sweet, is that for one tv?

cafekief
Ambassador

and will there ever be a list of all telus's equipment?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Don't worry about Telus and 4k equipment it will come out in do time. Just don't expect it to be mainstream or the next big thing.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

4k takes 15 to 25mbps to stream full ultra HD,so you better have a good internet plan,I live in Alberta and they don't charge for going over my 500GB in my area but I burn through that in 12 to 15 days using ultra HD..!!!

cafekief
Ambassador

o, cool, i am think to move to their in the next couple of year when i get a full-time job before that i want to do a telecom course.

Where part of alberta do you live? =) 

rayrayjj
Rockstar

cafekief
Ambassador

what?

vishwa
Ambassador

rayrayj: May I ask where in Alberta?  There are so many threads going all around in the forums about Telus changing that policy as of this month/next month.  Just wondering how you are exempt. Tell us only if you can without jeopardizing anything.