2.4G Dropping almost every day on Actiontec 3200

DonMarquardt
Friendly Neighbour

I am on my 3rd actiontec 3200 modem and still have exactly the same problem. Almost everyday (usually in the late evening) the 2.4g network goes down and only comes back when I power cycle the router.

I have fibre to house and this happens to laptops, androids and an Ipod.

I set up a ping from my desktop (hardwired to the modem) to my laptop and normally it only took a few milliseconds for the ping response, but sometimes I would see response times up to 3 seconds to timeout. Then I would eventually see network unreachable. This morning I disabled and re-enabled the 2.4g on the modem (192...) and this worked for a few minutes, but then went down again. Has anyone else seen this problem. Telus 2nd level techs tell me I am the only place they have seen it.

I am willing to try any suggestions to solve the issue.

Community Power User
Community Power User

No, but a number of us in the neighbourhood have installed a separate router to operate our local network due to varied challenges with the 3200.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
DonMarquardt
Friendly Neighbour

The telus tech has offered to install a 2.4g only repeater to "solve" the problem. To me this is plain and simple poorly tested firmware. I am running a vanilla environment. There are 7 different devices that may go in and out of range every day. Two laptops, 5 cell phones. There is an ipod that sits in its cradle that is only 2.4g

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DonMarquardt  Unfortunately the only real recourse right now is using your own router. The 3200 handles the Optik tv side, our routers for everything else.

The T3200m works great for some people and not so great for others. One would assume the manufacturer has been made aware of various issues. We just have to wait for newer firmware.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
DonMarquardt
Friendly Neighbour

And actiontec says contact your ISP for support. That pitiful in this case. They are / should be the experts

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DonMarquardt

Of course, Actiontec does not want to be responsible to provide support for every ISP that has created their own firmware. No surprise.

NFtoBC
DonMarquardt
Friendly Neighbour

Hadn't thought of it that way. If actiontec was wanting to keep a good reputation they would supply firmware that could be minimally configured by the isp and they would supply the "real" workings. 

jrueger
Ambassador

I had a similar problem with the 3200 - and enabling Smart Steering seemed to cure the problem.  Basically smart steering let me use just a single SSID name and then the 3200 "steered" the connecting device to the appropriate frequency band.  So maybe that might solve your issue too - basically let the 3200 figure out what is best for the client.

DonMarquardt
Friendly Neighbour

Changed over to Smart Steering Yesterday and LOL have not had 2.4 drop since. 

DonMarquardt
Friendly Neighbour

Another 24 hours with no drop. Feeling cautiously optimistic.

jefelex
Neighbour

@DonMarquardt wrote:

Another 24 hours with no drop. Feeling cautiously optimistic.

good plan - seems to have worked here as well - keeping my fingers crossed!!

giantbrownguy
Ambassador

I had a hell of a time maintaining a stable connection at 5 ghz. It was such a pain. iPad wouldn't stay connected while sleeping. 

Highlighted
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

Yeah, band steering works well, especially if you have mixed network compatibility amongst your devices. i.e. some use ac, n, g, etc .

iPhone power user
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

I'm having the exact same issues at 2.4 not 5. Mainly on the second tv which is in the back bedroom of a basement suite. So I assume it's because it's location. I'll try the smart steering though! Thanks guys! I hope that fixes it Smiley Happy

Mobility Client Care Rep
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've installed Ethernet to all locations in my home where an Ethernet connected device is placed. Wi-Fi is used only for non-wired devices. I strongly recommend wired over wireless.

NFtoBC
DonMarquardt
Friendly Neighbour

Doesn't work too well for a cell phone or Ipod. My wife's phone and my Ipod are only 2.4 G I use the Ipod for streaming music.

Still no luck. I am going to be seeing another Telus tech tomorrow. I don't expect any real solution. I am quite willing to be a beta site for the modem to try and resolve the issue. I have been told I am the only place this is happening. As we can see from above this is not true.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Did tech support have you shut off band steering on the T3200M and see how that worked?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
DonMarquardt
Friendly Neighbour

No, it was not mentioned. I am using "Smart Steering". My band steering is uninitialized

Community Power User
Community Power User

My mistake, you are correct. Shut off Smart Steering.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy