web space removed without notification, without compensation

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I forgot to mention that Windows also has an ftp component built in it's OS . It is in File Explorer and allows you to add a network address on the computer. I am not on a Windows machine but I found this info online trying solve my problem howtogeek.   com

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

@Stephen108 

Thank you for the details - just one point: 

ftp-colon-slash-slash-telus 3.telus.net did not work. I think it should be ftp-colon-slash-slash-www3.telus.net

I tried to post this using the normal way to spell a URL but the forum rejected the post so for my second try I spelt out the colon slash slash. Then when posting it says "an unexpected error occurred' This is a third go at it.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I used to have URLs on my domains that redirected to my TELUS webspace URL. I can't help wondering if TELUS could have let us do the opposite , i.e. keep the TELUS webspace URL and have TELUS redirect any traffic to whichever webserver you moved the files to. If possible that way would have allowed TELUS to remove all the customers files from their servers, and merely maintain the redirect links. A nuisance for the customer to have to find a new webserver and move files to it, but at least you wouldn't have to change all the links that point to your stuff, which seems to be the most aggravating part of the whole thing.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for correcting my mistake. I hope you are able to retrieve your files.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

INTERESTING???

Yesterday (Oct14/20) I received a followup question about an article on my website. This was unusual BECAUSE the site was removed by Telus over a month ago!

I answered the question and on a whim I decided to try the website address www3.telus.net/xxxxx.com   Much to my surprise the site is alive and well!

Have others had their sites reincarnated? Has Telus had a change of heart?

Rick

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I would dump your data while you can if you have access to it. To my understanding it will not be coming back. Not sure why people would run a site off it anyways when plenty of options out there, especially if a business or critical site. Ample hosting companies for cheap are available.

TELUS has extended the period that files can be retrieved until November 9, 2020. 
Website files and FTP contents are still available for download by any FTP client with your username
and password. Please remove any data or files you would like to retain. If you require your password reset or need
help retrieving your files please contact the TELUS help desk at 1-888-811-2323. We apologize for any
inconvenience and we thank you for using TELUS services.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
The files aren't an issue - I have all originals. Also, the site was non-critical and hosted some hobby information (it was perfect for that).

I'm exploring a Wordpress free site. If I can set it up that should meet my needs. At 75 yrs I'm not a big fan of change 😞

Thanks for getting back.

Rick