cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weak wireless signal

patsy60
Just Moved In

When we are watching Netflix, the shows reload themselves, and it gets really annoying.  My son who is more savvy with these things tells me it is the wireless connection. The same happens if he wants to show me something on You Tube on his phone.  It's at my house, and we got a new upgraded wireless box a couple of years ago.   Please explain the reason for this and can it be improved?   Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Some thoughts...

• what happens if you move laptop line of sight to your router?
  • what happens if you are 6 ft from your router?
  • if the above situations improve... what happens if you move the interferance away?
  • another option is a better antenna
  • you can get a "repeater", it does slightly slow down your data, but it can reach more locations around the home.
  • finally you can get a beefier router with better antennas

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Some thoughts...

• what happens if you move laptop line of sight to your router?
  • what happens if you are 6 ft from your router?
  • if the above situations improve... what happens if you move the interferance away?
  • another option is a better antenna
  • you can get a "repeater", it does slightly slow down your data, but it can reach more locations around the home.
  • finally you can get a beefier router with better antennas

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
There are SO many things that can affect WiFi, including placement of the router, interference from neighbouring routers, or other electronic devices. If you do a web search on the term "improving wireless signal" you'll get a wealth of information to help you find solutions.

If you can connect by Ethernet or place the router near the middle of your house, you might see improvement.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"