unknown port forwarding on T1200H

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Helpful Neighbour

Recently I upgrade the modem/router to Actiontec T1200H, and noticed that I have inbound port 4nnnn,or 5nnnnn, or 6nnnnn forwarded to my Windows PC.  If I deleted the port forwarding, it will come back immediately. Norton says I have no virus, but this port forwarding worries me.  Is it a virus? Why is it there?

Community Power User
Community Power User
It's called UPnP (Universal Plug n' Play). The ports are opened automatically by applications you have running on your PC, including Windows itself. They are not unusual or dangerous in the vast majority of cases. If you have up to date software and antivirus, you'll be fine.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Helpful Neighbour

I have up to date software and antivirus. It seems strange that I have three PC on the network, one Windows 7 starter, Windows 8.1 and a MacBook, but the ports are only forwarded to the Windows 8.1 machine. As well, the T1200H syslog showed lots of Upnp error 714 and 718s.

Community Power User
Community Power User

All computers will have ports open for certain things. Not all programs use UPnP so not all connections will show up in that list. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks Nighthawk.