security system

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Rockstar

I'm just wondering how many Mbps my security system use's and also how much each telus receiver use's, anyone no??

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your Security system documentation should indicate the bandwidth requirements. Different systems will stream differing volumes of data. TV bandwidth varies depending on the definition of the picture. An HD (720p) stream consumes on the order of 3.5 - 4 Mbps, a 1080i stream a bit less than twice that amount. Link. If you are connected to Telus Fibre Optic, your TV stream is separated from, and does not impact you internet bandwidth.

NFtoBC

17 year Telus Mobility customer

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your Security system documentation should indicate the bandwidth requirements. Different systems will stream differing volumes of data. TV bandwidth varies depending on the definition of the picture. An HD (720p) stream consumes on the order of 3.5 - 4 Mbps, a 1080i stream a bit less than twice that amount. Link. If you are connected to Telus Fibre Optic, your TV stream is separated from, and does not impact you internet bandwidth.

NFtoBC

17 year Telus Mobility customer

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I would do the following...

• When no one else in the house is on the computer or streaming video..... Go to this link and run a test... http://vancouver.speedtest.telus.com/
  • Now go unplug the power to your security system.  Go to the above link and run the test again.  The download speed difference number will give you an idea of how much bandwidth your security system impacts.  Don't forget to plug your security system back in.

Personally, I'm not too concerned about Mbps.  I'm more concerned about gigabytes consumed each month.  If your security system uploads to the cloud, it may be consuming several gigs each month.  My Dropcam consumes 2.5gigs a day or 75 gigs a month.  With more than one camera and regular consumption, it can quickly approach the 250 gigs a month cap.

For some, they may choose to have their primary cameras upload to the cloud.  Secondary cameras can record to local storage to minimize impact across the internet.