"TELUS.net email not available for TELUS PureFibre customers at this time"

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Aramis
Connector

I'm thinking of switching from Bell and Shaw (with them for over 20 years) to Optik 4K and 150 internet. Then I came across two potential stumbling points.
The first one was the above comment on the Telus website. I called in to ask an agent and was told that webmail is available with "regular fibre" but that there's "no free webmail" with PureFibre. He seemed as confused as me - and I'm as good at technical stuff as Donald Trump is at synchronized swimming.
The second one was the agent's comment that my landline would migrate from copper to fibre if I were to sign up. When I asked if we'd keep our current phone number, he said "you should be able to keep it". "Should" doesn't cut it for me - I MUST keep it.
Can anyone out there offer some insight into these topics? Some reassurance from Telus itself would help.

Most Helpful
buckycat
Advocate

I kept my number when I switched from Shaw.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Most people I know switched from using their ISP provided emails (Telus, Shaw, etc) to web based ones like Gmail. Better spam filtering usually.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
bchalk
Resident

Why are they hiding this important information? I ran across a tiny note  - almost an after thought - as if to say: "BTW, our webmail product is not available if you buy our expensive fibre optic package." Since I wasn't told this, and the setup doesn't warn you that you are on fibre optic I went ahead and changed my Shaw email over to Telus and notified everyone, at great expense in time and effort, only to now find that no one is responding to my emails. They don't even tell you why it can't be done on PureFibre but it's okay on copper. This is more of a rant than a question but it's also a warning to others who may be considering Telus. 

Kolby_G
Ambassador
ISP email is trash and should be avoided wherever possible. Use Gmail/Outlook for personal and O365/G-Suite for business, nothing else is worth considering. I wasn't aware that Telus webmail wasn't supported on fiber, however that wouldn't surprise me too much.
polecat
Ambassador

This discussion seams a little odd to me. Telus webmail not supported on pure fibre.  My internet has been on pure about 2 years  and having my phone switched to pure last oct. I have used webmail ever since i being on telus internet. Copper lines are not being used in my house anymore. The mail works just fine way better than copper with its corrosion problems that comes with the age of the system. 

Community Power User
Community Power User
@polecat
Mine, too, but we were amongst the earliest installs, before it was even called Pure Fibre. Current Pure Fibre accounts do not include Telus.net email account, but I recall at least one instance of a Neighbour indicating it is available as an add-on.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Kolby_G
Ambassador

Ya, apparently you can create email addresses on fiber, however, my opinion still stands. There is no good reason to use ISP email anymore. With how few features ISP mail has, and the lack of SSO with any services like Google and Microsoft have, I don't see why someone would want it.

email.PNG

polecat
Ambassador

I look at this Neighbourhood  site from time to time and have learned a lot and solved all my small problems. But one thing gets me upset the telus reps seem to have different costing and promo packages for us daily. The shop site on the neighbourhood  and telus.com are not the same PLEASE TELUS MAKE FINDING A PACKAGE OR WHATEVER FOR NEW CUSTOMERS MORE SIMPLE SO YOU DON'T ROAM FROM PAGE TO PAGE.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Kolby_G

I don't understand why one would have a Smartphone without a data plan, but lots do just that. I guess similarly, for many folks the ease of setup, support, and trust they have for Telus vs Google, may cause them to be very happy with the simplicity of ISP email. Others have generated sufficient identity with their ISP email that a move from it is a major challenge!

NFtoBC
GwennC
Neighbour

How did your transfer your contacts to Webmail. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Most email programs allow you to export your contacts list, and once done there is an import option (which I have not tested) in the preferences tab of webmail.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
JJR
Connector

Just to jump in here ... I have a telus.net email mailbox along with the latest PureFibre installation.  I simply just had to ask for the email when setting up the PureFibre account and installation.  No problem. And as for the rather condescending comment about ISP email accounts ... I'd much rather have my email on Canadian servers than on US servers with Microsoft or Google thank you very much.  Furthermore having email with my ISP gives me better support when needed (in my humble experience but then I am a retired IT professional who can deal nicely with service provider help desks). I rarely use the Telus Webmail and manage my email on different devices via IMAP and various email clients that meet my needs.  The mailbox is just a holding location for the email ... and if the email is important or sensitive enough that I might not want to trust it to Telus I simply move it to a local device in a folder not synched via IMAP.  As an IT wag once said ... cloud computing is just someone else's computer.

GwennC
Neighbour

I have the same problem and the same angst over it. So now I have two Webmail a/c's and  Webmail Address Book doesn't have bulk import capability. or if itdoes no one in Support or the literature knows about it. I am feeling cheated, frustrated and angry.

GwennC
Neighbour

You can have a Webmail account, you can't set up a telus email account (in my case) Windows Live Mail. Nor can you import your contacts en masse.

@NFtoBCwrote:
@polecat
Mine, too, but we were amongst the earliest installs, before it was even called Pure Fibre. Current Pure Fibre accounts do not include Telus.net email account, but I recall at least one instance of a Neighbour indicating it is available as an add-on.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Windows Live Mail is another webmail interface, so I would not expect to be able to access multiple email services through it, as one might with a mail client on their computer. Gmail allows you to share account access to their web client, but I am not familiar with other webmail offerings allowing such interaction between accounts.

You can, of course, forward received Telus webmail to another account.

These support articles describe how to connect your favourite mail application to Telus email services.

NFtoBC