new 4k stb

Jim_Shady
Neighbour

I just got a new stb from Telus because the old one would fail at least once a day. but now when I have this new stb plugged in and working my sound is all messed up.  So when I have my Sony Bravia  TV plugged into my Yamaha receiver with HDMI cable. It will automatically switch the sound to my receiver. That doesn't happen if the new TELUS stp is plugged in.  Plus I used to be able to pick up any remote ( TV, STB or receiver) and change the volume. With the new TELUS stb this doesn't happen. I have done all kinds of trouble shooting, swapping cables, power cycling every device. and I can get everything to work fine until I turn everything off, then come morning I have the same problems all over again.

Now when the tech came to install it he said to me just before he left that some of these boxes have issue with HDMI and that if I have any issue I should use composite cables.  But none of those issue will even work though composite cables, they only work with HDMI ( so I was told) and that composite cables only displays 1080i. So that is not an option. Is there anything that can be done or do I need to look for a better cable company. Please help me.

Community Power User
Community Power User
@Jim_Shady Are you running the 4K receiver HDMI through the stereo receiver and using it for all the HDMI switching? Or is the 4K receiver HDMI connected through your Sony TV then passing through to the stereo receiver? Have you checked "audio"'settings Menu on the 4K box.

Are there any firmware/software updates for your Yamaha receiver?

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Jim_Shady
Neighbour

so after checking out the STB on the web site it doesn't look like the 4k STB  ( Telus told me they were going to replace mine with a 4k box, I guess they didn't)  mine has the model number of ipv6015.  but to answer your question yes I have the STB plugged into the receiver with HDMI. and I checked out the audio settings and I have the option to set it to stereo or surround sound. and it doesn't work either way.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Jim_Shady Have you checked for a Yamaha software update on your receiver? Also have you tried a different set of HDMI cables? It's definitely a HDCP issue and your hdmi pass through switching at the AV receiver.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Jim_Shady
Neighbour

I've switched out the cables, no change. and if I unplug the HDMI cable from the STB and turn everything off and back on again it works fine, till I plug in the STB. plus it all work great before the STB was replaced with a newer model. And the receiver has the latest firmware update. So I'm lost as what to do