how do i set my actiontech modem to bridge mode so i can connect my d-link dIR-868L?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Resident

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are a number of discussions on this topic which can be found using the search term "Bridge Mode"

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Doesn't bridging the modem violate some terms of service or acceptable use policy? Or is Telus actually enforcing any of that?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚

All Replies
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are a number of discussions on this topic which can be found using the search term "Bridge Mode"

NFtoBC

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Doesn't bridging the modem violate some terms of service or acceptable use policy? Or is Telus actually enforcing any of that?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚

Organizer

Resident

Hi There, 

Thank you for posting this, I was able to get this working but having my router and the actiontec on different sub-nets has posed some issues when trying to enable communications between devices on the network i.e Ipad on one subnet to TV or PC on different subnet. It is mostly media server stuff. Is anyone else having this issue, and if so have you found any solutions.

I used to have everything configured via the transparent bridging mode but that no longer seems to be an option. Is there anyway to do this without having different subnets?

Community Power User
Community Power User
Isn't the purpose of having two subsets the prevention of inter-communications between the two subnets? Placing the devices you want to interact on the same subnet should address your needs.
NFtoBC
Rockstar

@Inceptron wrote:

Most of the information that you can search for about briding mode is out of date. I am running the latest firmware and I am now able to successfully use the WAN port on the Actiontec V1000H and my own router. Here's the steps to make it work properly:

(From here on in, when I mention router I mean your own router - not the Actiontec)

That causes 'double NAT'. Creates an ugly Vlan.  All it does is to allow your own router to bypass any port restrictions(DMZ) on the Actiontec.

You would have to bridge(switch) your own router to avoid double NAT.

Turn your Router into a network switch

http://www.howtogeek.com/174419/how-to-reuse-your-old-wi-fi-router-as-a-network-switch/

As of Jan 2014, one of the latest Actiontec updates, allows for the WAN port to be used as a LAN port while the Actiontec is using a DSL connection(phone line).

Organizer

Rockstar

@Inceptron wrote:

optik TV

With Optik TV, you can use your own router connected to a 'modem' or 'Optical terminal(FTTH)' or 'bridged gateway'.

The router firmware(stock or a WRT) needs to be able to deal(IGMP) with 'multicast' to avoid 'multicast floods' flooding the wireless network and eventually crashing the LAN. The speed that the multicast get delivered to the wifi is throttled.

Users with OptikTV can use a 'modem', then a dumb switch, then the Actiontec for TV, along side of a router for Internet surfing. It keeps separate the now two networks. Each will have their own Public IP address.

**  Don't ask Telus support because they will not be able to help with Telus non-standard install. **

Theres  been posts few years back, about being able to use the IPTV IP address with its port number to stream to VLC media player or Microsoft media player on your computer. It depends on if encryption is enabled to stop any stream other than on the IPTV box. It is a legit way to watch on your computer and it should not violate any rules, since Telus allows a certain amount of IPTV streams without 'payment per tv box'.

Telus provides the Optik App for mobile use(cell or wifi), which has some type of DRM in it for allowance of mobile streaming.  http://www.telus.com/content/tv/optik/apps/apps.jsp?name=Optik-on-the-go

There was  issue with the Actiontec blocking wifiLAN from the hardwireLAN (to avoid multicast floods), I guess the app should alleviate that.

The whole Telus not allowing one button bridging, comes down to not allowing the end user to screwup their Optik TV.  Telus is handing out the Zyxel gateway for Non-Optik TV. They still don't have a bridging button And unless enough users(more than the pull out my butt estimated 10% that want bridging) flood Telus executives(not support) with "we want Bridging", its an up hill battle for the Techs who write the Telus version firmware to get it made.

http://about.telus.com/community/english/about_us/for_our_customers/customer_feedback

Technical people should be able to enable Bridge mode easy enough for their own use.

There is always the ability to buy your own(Adsl or Vdsl) for use on the Telus network.  Fairly simple but depending on settings, easy to screw up.

http://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/How-do-I-setup-a-Non-Telus-VSG1432-to-work-on-Telus...

Resident

Thanks for your post Inceptron.  It has helped to get my linksys e4500 running.  My question to you is that i still can't get my port forwarding to work.  How did you get it to work?  Thanks!

Ambassador

@Inceptron wrote:
  1. Once updated, you should be able to connect the actiontec's WAN port to your routers WAN port,

I thought the WAN port on the Actiontec was to allow you to connect it as a router to a separate modem? So how does it work if you plug the WAN port of your own router into the Actiontec's WAN port?

Rockstar

Doug1Ames1 wrote

I thought the WAN port on the Actiontec was to allow you to connect it as a router to a separate modem? So how does it work if you plug the WAN port of your own router into the Actiontec's WAN port?

An update to the Actiontec early 2014, changed the WAN port to be a LAN port when using it on DSL. Which gives you 5 LAN ports, instead of 4.

When the Actiontec is used on fibre to the home(or off a bridged gateway), The actiontec WAN port is a WAN port that makes the Actiontec a router(not modem) for TV users.

Ambassador

I have VDSL with Optik TV. For me the WAN port on the Actiontec V1000H does nothing. If I plug something into it, it can't get an IP address.

Does Telus actually publish any up to date documentation for the current capabilities of the V1000H?

Rockstar

@Doug1Ames1 wrote:

I have VDSL with Optik TV. For me the WAN port on the Actiontec V1000H does nothing. If I plug something into it, it can't get an IP address.

Does Telus actually publish any up to date documentation for the current capabilities of the V1000H?

The latest Actiontec firmware version is   31.121L.13  ,I hope... Smiley LOL

Older versions are 

31.121L.11 ---- start of 5th lan port, and other upgrades

31.121L.12

31.30L.57

31.30L.48

Telus isn't very forward on publishing about firmware changes and new features. Thats the world of locked down Gateways and users who don't know any technology.

Some Actiontecs for whatever reason are not updating by themselves or get stuck in a firmware update pause(still work though) and need a kick. Supposedly some people have had success in calling someone at Telus to force-push an update.

Ambassador

My Actiontec is on 31.121L.13, which I understand is the latest version. But the WAN port definitely doesn't function as a LAN port.

The System Log on the Actiontec shows:

2014/21/06T08:18:50 (GMT-08:00)System Eventewan0 (switch port: 4) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
2014/21/06T08:19:11 (GMT-08:00)System Eventewan0 (switch port: 4) Link DOWN.

I don't see any user-accessible setting that would affect it. But I notice that the LAN Status page lists 5 ethernet ports #1-5, with 3 showing DISCONNECTED. Of course it also shows USB as DISCONNECTED even though I currently have a functioning shared USB drive plugged in there, so it's obviously not a reliable indication.

Rockstar

@Doug1Ames1 wrote:

My Actiontec is on 31.121L.13, which I understand is the latest version. But the WAN port definitely doesn't function as a LAN port.

the version you have, 31.121L.13 , seems Telus removed the WAN port as a 5th LAN port, when using DSL.

Neighbour

Inceptron (or anyone who has tried his guide),

I saw in another post from you when I searched "Bridge Mode" stating that the actual bridge mode feature isn't required if I want to just use another router (ASUS RT-AC66U) instead of the Actiontec V1000H, but that bridge mode is mainly for OptikTV and not necessary if I want to use another router as the main. I just want to confirm that following your guide is all I really need to make it work.

The reasons I want to do this is because I find the wifi from the Actiontec to be spotty at times. Sometimes devices can't connect or the connection gets really slow and I have to end up rebooting the router. I'm hoping switching to the ASUS will solve this. 

Could you or anyone else who has followed this guide tell me if my setup will work without a hitch? I assume I connect everything through the new ASUS router now, and the Actiontec is just a modem for internet access.

• Apple TV using Unblock US (wifi)
  • WD TV LIVE streaming media from my PC (wifi)
  • PS3 for games and streaming media from PC (ethernet via powerline)
  • WD Livewire Powerline
  • A bunch of laptops, and mobile devices using wifi

Cheers!

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi there, should work pretty much without a hitch. As long as you follow the ASUS instructions when setting it up to one of the LAN ports. I actually have the same router at home connected to my Actiontec and have not had any problems personally using similar devices.

Neighbour

Great to hear. Have you been successful with port forwarding and setting up static IPs?

Ambassador

You don't need to set up any specific port forwarding if you put your router in the DMZ of the Actiontec - all port numbers will be forwarded to your router.

Neighbour

Thanks @SeaOtter and @Doug1Ames1 .

@Doug1Ames1 so you mean put the Actiontec in DMZ mode, then I can port forward from the ASUS router?

Does anyone know why  @Inceptron  removed his instructions? I backed tracked to some other threads he commented on and he remove them as well... I kind of needed those. I just pulled the trigger on buying the ASUS RT-AC66U router too...

Ambassador

When you specify that a local IP address is in the DMZ of the router, it simply means that ALL port numbers are forwarded to that IP address, so no other port forwarding is required. You just have to make sure that the local IP address stays the same and doesn't change, which you can do with either a DHCP reservation or a known static IP address.

Helpful Neighbour

I hope I won't be tarred and feathered for necroposting but this is the most recent "bridge mode" search result that gets close and "use search function" seemed to be a pretty popular answer back 9 months ago.

I'm hovering on abandoning Shaw and their bloated 250/15 plan (that frequently drops to 12-20/12) and a big part of this is pivoting on still being able to maintain functionality of my RT-AC68U router. I am only interested in internet services- no optik for me thanks.

From what I'm reading above, if I put my router IP into the DMZ of whatever modem / router I get from Telus I'll have effectively bypassed their modem and can then still use my current settings as I have with Shaw. I imagine I can then also turn off signal from the Telus unit so it is, essentially, just a box that bonds 2 lines and funnels data through my existing router. 

If it's that easy then I imagine I'll be a Telus customer soon!

Community Power User
Community Power User

This thread is quite a bit out of date. It's for the older Actiontec hardware. (DMZ did nothing anyways) The newer gateways are a lot easier to set up and get one dedicated port working bridged.

Helpful Neighbour

Thanks Nighthawk. I've been getting a TON of conflicting information via their online chat and also talking to someone on the phone last night- all I wanted to know was "whether or not I can use my own router through the modem provided by telus." 

The girl on the phone said no you can't- and when I pressed the issue she went to talk to someone else and they said "No you can't." 

The thing / person on the online chat also said they didn't think it would work but admitted it / they didn't know for sure. 

Kind of frustrating right out of the gate- Are there new threads that are more up to date that help a person do this? I'm no guru or anything but I'm not afraid to look under the hood and can generally get done what needs to get done- 

Ambassador

What you read about connecting your own router to a LAN port of the Telus Actiontec modem+router and putting it in the DMZ is correct for the V1000H model. I use mine that way, and I have zero problems. I haven't seen anyone report an actual problem with using it that way in spite of all the angst posted about not being able to use a true bridge mode. The newer T1200 model does offer a true bridge mode.

Helpful Neighbour

SO weird that nobody in the 3 people I've spoken to directly over their chat, on the phone- or the person that the was consulted with during my phone call- could just tell me that? 

I was told very specifically- especially on the phone- that I could NOT use my own router. This after I told them it was pretty much the only condition I needed to switch my accounts over. 

I'm not going to keep beating it to death- it's pretty clear that I can do what I want to do... but there appears to be a pretty substantial disconnect between avid internet service users and the personnel who are selling it. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Eno - The one thing you have to remember is the sales people are not always very technical (if at all) and many don't seem to be aware of some of the features. Telus' policy for the longest time was nothing was allowed to be bridged. After years of a lot of people asking, they finally did change.

Helpful Neighbour

That's great news Nighthawk... and news that comes at an excellent time as I evaluate service providers. In my industry if I don't know the answer to a question, I call someone I know who does. It actually sounded like the person on the phone yesterday did that- but still came out with the wrong answer. Fortunately I know I have this additional resource available otherwise I'd have probably continued my search. 

I do understand that the grass isn't always greener... in fact, sometimes it's not even grass- but I will say that having learned this does make Telus a much more attractive contender if only because their plans have more of what I need and less of what I don't while still being more affordable by a significant margin. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

In defence of the phone support folks, you  can't use your own router instead of theirs, but must use it in addition. Since some would try to swap, it may be easier to say no. Those wiser are often located on boards like this, and are willing to share their knowledge. 

NFtoBC