future fiber? FUTURE AND NOW specs?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador

http://globalnews.ca/news/2952647/fibre-optic-cable-installation-a-danger-to-kids-and-pets-south-Edm...

this is Edmonton but for greater Vancouver. what will this do? is more you-tube videos on the this?

plus five new house lots right by my place, i see on there master plan there is underground burial of wires. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not really sure what your question is. Can you clarify?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Ambassador

what will it bring? example?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It will bring faster internet, IP-based television, and IP telephone to those who subscribe.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Ambassador

is there a video of the system or pre system?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Try going to YouTube, and search for "Installation of Underground Utilities" and you should find lots of information about the installation of telecommunications and other infrastructure to residential neighbourhoods.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Ambassador

This is kind of late response, but here is my take.  Telus 150/150 Mbps FTTH is only the beginning.  Some areas in Toronto are already getting true Gbps (1000 Mbps) FTTH.  So for now 150 Mbps is available in some areas in BC, but future could be 1000 Mbps.  I think the gamers will stand to benefit the most.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Till backbone servers can provide the bandwidth at gigabit connections to the end consumer. Gigabit as it stands now is more marketing hoopla than actual value.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Ambassador

Here is the actual speed posted by an early adopter in Toronto, so it is more than marketing hoopla.

Here's the results of my first HH3000 internal speed test:
Date/Time Blocked traffic Latency Download speed Upload speed
2016-08-24 14:57:08 No 6 Milliseconds 1.29 Gbps 123.72 Mbps

Note: The fibe demarcation point is now inside the house. The tech mentioned he thinks it's being done that way now because bell has to open their network to wholesalers in the future.

I do understand that Telus has more work to do to catch-up to the future.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@SCo There is no current application or game that would even remotely benefit from a gigabit connection. Most home PC hardware / gaming consoles don't have the power or hardware speed to handle it. 25mbit is overkill for current games in terms of bandwidth. Latency will be a relatively non issue with any fiber connection depending on where on the planet the game server is located and what their connection is.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

Telus is offering 250 Mbps in Vernon.  Apparently, a key executive lives there!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not likely. Only a small portion of Vernon has fiber installed and ready to go. There are other towns in the Okanagan including Kelowna that are fully complete. That includes Kamloops which is a main hub for Telus in BC.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

Based on this thread, one forum member reported that he had the 250 installed but only getting 90+ Mbps.  He lives in the Vernon trial area.

It was indicated to him that 250 would be available to his installation.  Other member explained that the limit could be due to the computer NIC being 10/100 rated.

Highlighted
Advocate

Yes, getting Gigabit speeds to a speed testing server is the most useful thing most people will do with their gigabit service vs the next speed grade down from it in most circumstances.

Real world downloads and servers will not give any single individual user any faster experience if you went from the current 150Mbit top tier to a full Gigabit level of service.  You could get more aggregate users on your single connection with gigabit like in a company where a few hundred people all using bandwidth at the same time going to different servers would no longer experience significant slow downs due to the usage of their co-workers.  But on a near 1 to 1 basis of a single user to the connection like in a typical residential setting it's not going to make much difference to your daily use yet.

The long term ideal is that it opens up new possible uses of the Internet among users who all happen to have symmetric gigabit speeds to do things you might have only thought possible on a LAN setting.  So in a chicken and egg analogy it's nice to have the Gigabit connection before you actually need it and perhaps it can spur on the development of something new that was not possible without it.

Still.  I want gigabit fibre.  Willing to test it, please hook me up.  I may not be able to figure out a need for it yet but I'm willing to risk it.

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Upcraft wrote:

Still.  I want gigabit fibre.  Willing to test it, please hook me up.  I may not be able to figure out a need for it yet but I'm willing to risk it.

Your post makes sense which I understood from the beginning.  I also like your last paragraph - quoted.