free wifi hot spots like shaw

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Why doesn't telus offer hot spots like shaw?  I'd like to use my laptop while on the go.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Telus does not offer hot spots....

Telus Optik does offer discounted cellular mobility so you use your phone, tablet, or laptop anywhere without needing to look for a hotspot.  I love being able to use my devices on a moving bus.... without needing to be stuck at a single location for internet access.

A warning.... public wifi like Shaw hotspots are UNSECURED.  Hope you are using a VPN to encrypt your activities from data eavesdroppers harvesting your user id's, passwords, and surfing activities.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Telus does not offer hot spots....

Telus Optik does offer discounted cellular mobility so you use your phone, tablet, or laptop anywhere without needing to look for a hotspot.  I love being able to use my devices on a moving bus.... without needing to be stuck at a single location for internet access.

A warning.... public wifi like Shaw hotspots are UNSECURED.  Hope you are using a VPN to encrypt your activities from data eavesdroppers harvesting your user id's, passwords, and surfing activities.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Why doesn't Shaw offer mobile communications like Telus? They bought spectrum in the 2008 auction but have not used it.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Advocate

Shaw no longer has any plans of setting up a wireless network.  They are going the wifi route instead.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/01/14/rogers-signs-agreement-with-shaw-to-purchase-their-unused-aws-spec...

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Oh look... Shaw plans to celebrate the new year by increasing rates!

http://www.news1130.com/2014/12/20/shaw-is-planning-to-hike-internet-rates-in-the-new-year/