fiber 50 dns settings

Jazz59
Connector

Hi;

Can I change the dns settings on my modem/router without hurting my service or are they required for optic tv?

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can change the DNS settings if you wish. When the netflix app on optik tv first came out it affected it's operation, but doesn't anymore.

The one time you would have to change the DNS back is if you had a red X on the box. It needs the Telus DNS to communicate. I just run my modem/router in bridge mode and let the actiontec handle the optik tv, and my Asus router to handle everything else.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Most Helpful
WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can change the DNS settings if you wish. When the netflix app on optik tv first came out it affected it's operation, but doesn't anymore.

The one time you would have to change the DNS back is if you had a red X on the box. It needs the Telus DNS to communicate. I just run my modem/router in bridge mode and let the actiontec handle the optik tv, and my Asus router to handle everything else.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

Jazz59
Connector

OK,, not a network guru, but would your router still not be going through telus modem and that would then again check dns?

Which dns is actually used, the comp, the router or the modem?

Which one should be changed so no one is logging it?

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
If I bridge mode the Telus modem (actiontec) my router uses whatever assigned DNS I give it. If you use the Telus supplied modem (actiontec) not bridged you would use whatever DNS you assign it.

Since I have optik tv I let the actiontec handle the tv portion. Turn off the wifi and bridge mode to my Asus router to handle the wireless along with DNS.

If you change the DNS in the modem/router anything connected to that network goes to the assigned DNS. Or you can setup DNS separately on your devices. You're better off to set it and forget at the modem/router.

planetawylie
Resident

@WestCoasterBC I'm in a similar setup as yourself...Actiontec as main router and an additional Asus router. But I haven't tried port bridging yet. So I've a quick question or two if you could confirm a couple of things for me.

- which router is the DHCP? Assuming off at Actiontec and on at Asus?

- If you add a guest wifi to your Asus, and intranet access is disabled, what IP address is allocated to a device connecting to it?

- Can it see anything in the Asus LAN? Or anything in the Actiontec LAN?

Thx!