cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

faster internet without wireless digital box?

CanadianCylon
Neighbour

The technician who installed my Optik TV provided me with a wired digital box for a TV and a second wireless 'access point' digital box, since I'm planning on setting up an additional TV in the future elsewhere. However running speedtest for about a week now I've averaged about 10MBPS download (with internet 25) and sometimes this gets to a crawl (around 1 or less). Since I'm not using the second TV yet I thought I'd unplug the wireless digital box (a VEN501 Cisco Access Point), and the download speed has been much faster (averaging 20MBPS with the wired digital box off though other devices such as ipad iphone connected). I assume this device is different than the wifi booster device? And should I also assume that with it plugged in the bandwidth on average will be slower (given the need to distribute the video signal throughout the house)? thanks again to anyone with some insight.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BobTELUStech
Coach

Hi. The wireless access point for the set top box is indeed not a WiFi extender. If you are not using the wireless stb you should not have the WAP powered up. WiFi is a fickle beast. Very sensitive to interference, or "disturbers" as they're known. The WAP and the WiFi extender (they are different) must always be set up at some distance from the gateway. Sadly many techs, heavily pressed for time, will just stack things up together in order to get on to the next job in the allotted time. What we used to call a "Firetower". Having said that, you don't mention your connection method. Wired or wireless? Device; laptop, smartphone, tablet, or...? There are so many variables and troubleshooting can be very complicated.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
I would have to experiment, but won't be able to do so for a while.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

sure, do let me know if you do NFtoBC thank you. It's middle of the day same fast speed. I think it's the wireless HD box.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
It'll be a couple of weeks, so let's see if others jump in.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

BobTELUStech
Coach

Hi. The wireless access point for the set top box is indeed not a WiFi extender. If you are not using the wireless stb you should not have the WAP powered up. WiFi is a fickle beast. Very sensitive to interference, or "disturbers" as they're known. The WAP and the WiFi extender (they are different) must always be set up at some distance from the gateway. Sadly many techs, heavily pressed for time, will just stack things up together in order to get on to the next job in the allotted time. What we used to call a "Firetower". Having said that, you don't mention your connection method. Wired or wireless? Device; laptop, smartphone, tablet, or...? There are so many variables and troubleshooting can be very complicated.

View solution in original post

Thank you Bob, in fact a quick update, I've since successfully hooked up the WAP (upstairs) with a wireless Optik HD Box and second TV (main floor). The speed in fact couldn't be faster. With Internet 25 I still get tests as high as 25.72 average MBPS download (on iphone 5 and 3rd gen iPad) with the WAP working and two TVs going. So, perhaps it was a coincidence that there was slow speed with the WAP plugged in. Interesting to note that most techs plug the WAP close to the gateway. Indeed ours connected the WAP by ethernet cable to the wireless router, which is upstairs. For now, things work well, so I'm not worried about that nor the WAP. Thanks again for your response!