cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email received today - legit?

MFGS
Friendly Neighbour

Just checking - received an email regarding email server upgrade. (from '[email protected] <[email protected]>

"Due to this new upgrade, your email was unable to receive Twelve (12) of your new messages, which was placed on hold during the process."

"CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE THE 12 PENDING MESSAGES". 

Uh, right... before I click, I want to know this is a legit email (I mean, who is 'sonita' at 'xplornet.com'???)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The email may not even have originated with Xplornet. It's extremely easy to fake the email address a message appears to be from. CRTC doesn't do anything with spam unfortunately. Probably just better off forwarding it to [email protected].

See: https://www.telus.com/en/about/security/report-a-problem

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

polecat
All-Star

@MFGS  xplornet  is a internet provider that uses satellite to supply you with internet. Comes in a mail flyer and if i remember costs a lot more than telus or shaw

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@MFGS - That is absolute spam. Do not click any link in it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

MFGS
Friendly Neighbour

Just to be sure, sent the following email to Xplornet, copy CRTC:

I received this email today, purporting to be from Telus, but the address looks a bit funny. Is this a legitimate email from telus, or is it actually from you (Xplornet)? (I notice you have an article on your website entitled 'Are You Phishing Savvy?' in which you state that "hackers are getting better at deceiving individuals by using companies’ logos and branding that look legitimate". Indeed.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 8:31:36 AM
Subject: 11-06-2019:- NEW SYSTEM UPDATE

Dear Valued Customer,

We have just updated our servers in order to give the latest and best features of our service(s) to you. Due to this new upgrade, your email was unable to receive Twelve (12) of your new messages, which was placed on hold during the process.

Click Here to Receive The 12 Pending Message(s)

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The email may not even have originated with Xplornet. It's extremely easy to fake the email address a message appears to be from. CRTC doesn't do anything with spam unfortunately. Probably just better off forwarding it to [email protected].

See: https://www.telus.com/en/about/security/report-a-problem

MFGS
Friendly Neighbour

Oh, thanks!