distrubuted attack

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hi,

How do I configure my system so it will not be part of a distributed attack?

Running 2 Ipads and a desk top behind a Telus router.

Don

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is there a particular issue you are concerned about?

Usually computers compromised in a DDoS Attack are commercial servers on the internet, which have a large number of ports open to be able to complete their tasks.

If a DDoS attack occurs, there is little you can do about it, because the issue is on computers outside your sphere, and the denial of service is because THEY are overwhelmed.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I feel DDoS is like any malware..... get proper malware protection as a start.

iOS devices????  Make sure your devices has the latest OS updates.  Sadly my third gen iPad will not work with iOS 10.

I think Apple got a huge reality check with Flashback

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_BackDoor.Flashback

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hi,

Did I assume incorrectly that the devices I purchased were hacked and I + thousands or millions of others were the cause.

Are  you saying that the commercial servers using the device info are the ones hacked and I have little to worry about?

regards,

Don

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Hackers don't care about personal devices, they attack Corporation servers for DATA (Sony, twitter, google, microsoft, banks, etc). If a mobile platform such as iOS was compromised you would have heard about it ages ago. (Besides the icloud celebrity photos)..

With Apples closed ecosystem, generally nothing get's in malicious. If it does usually found fairly fast and security patches issued when need be.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Ambassador

99.9% of the time, those who engage in DDoS attacks, do so to large corporations, like Amazon, or sites where there's a lot of traffic.  

What do you mean that your iPads are infected?  They may have been infected by apps because of the backdoor that was discovered by a hacker a few months back.  But Apple put out an update which patches that.  If you're infected, the only option is to hard reset, and re-install all of your stuff.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Zman...

Nope don't think the Ipads are infected. They are just part of the home network.

I just want to make sure I don't add to the issue by leaving a door open that could be exploited by others.

Paranoia is a good thing.

Thanx for the help,

Don

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Reason why many go to Mac is for the security of the BSD Unix system. You have nothing to worry about.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Neighbour

Thanx to all that relieved an old guys paranoia.

regards,

Don