cat5 outlets

tarraaa
Resident

I want to move my router upstairs and I have multiple cat5 outlets throughout the house but

when I go to try my router in them they don't work at all.  Does a tech need to actually set it up?

Community Power User
Community Power User
@tarraaa I would assume the cat5e jacks have been properly terminated, and are run back to a central location. (Usually the utility room). Was this existing networking runs in your home?

Are you trying to move your Telus actiontec upstairs or are you using a spare router?

I would assume the router relocation upstairs because of signal strength issues? Which router do you currently have?

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unlike your phone wiring, which is all connected together in one circuit, Ethernet cables are not connected together, and one end is usually left in the cable cabinet as @WestCoasterBC stated. Instead of moving your gateway/router, adding an Access Point may be a better option. This would leave your gateway where it currently is placed, and adds a new point of connection elsewhere into your home. This removes the need to deal with all the other connections to your current gateway.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"