cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

call control questions

checkmate
Friendly Neighbour

Hello peeps,

I installed Call Control due to my phone number being spoofed. Example:  Received a call at 7:15 am I ignored then called the number 1 hr later.  I woke the person up a they did not call me.  Over the last year someone has been calling me early morn and when I pick up dead air.  I usually do not pick up these calls but there has been an escalation since the 7:15 am call. I think I know who it is but do not have their cell number.

Question: my first call on call control displayed a phone number marked  Private Mar 13 2019 16:47 Challenged - timeout Unassigned.  Is there a handbook explaining the "list status, "call result" information  that will be  displayed?  This call came on landline I could have been on phone at the time of call.   

Question:  Prior to call Control someone called me I did not pick up.  I called the number back it was a Telus number that was not in service.  I did a *69 and got the same number that was not in service it did not give the real source.  So I called Telus to install call control.  I asked if someone is spoofing will I get the real number they are calling from not the one they put in caller ID?   I could not get a good answer.  The caller would be a local.  Can anyone tell me if I will get the real called not the call they put in the caller ID as #69 gives the fake caller id?  I am not dealing with Robocalling.  I hope I did not over explain all this is new to me. 

I think I read that people can spoof on Telus cell phones is this true?  Change their caller ID?  Or is it to change to private?   I am confused please set me straight.

Thank you for reading this any help would be appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, in my call control history on the Telus website I can see the numbers that have called.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Any number can be spoofed. You'll have no way to tell. That's one big flaw with the call display technology in its present form. *69 doesn't always work either. 

Private Mar 13 2019 16:47 Challenged - timeout Unassigned
  • "Private" refers to the caller ID. That means the number wasn't displayed. Cell phones often show as this.
  • "Challenged - timeout" refers to the fact that the line was likely at dead air longer than the time alotted for a caller to confirm they're human.
  • "Unassigned" refers to that caller not being in either the Accepted or Blocked Callers list.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

checkmate
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for the information I appreciate the help.    I can see the callers  phone number in my list - under the number it states private.  I was hoping that this program would show the real number.  

I do not have a cell phone and have no idea how they do it. I was told the put in their number then put in fake number for caller Id.  Can they do this without having to hear it dial, reach me? Like just put in the numbers?  Is it a program on their phone?  I have never used a cell phone so out of touch with the technology.

Wanting to catch the person is important they could be interfering with my housing.  Just having call control may scare them away.  If the calls stop I will be happy as they do it early morning.

thank you so much

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I can see the callers  phone number in my list - under the number it states private.  I was hoping that this program would show the real number.  

That's not how Call Control works. If the phone number shows and it says Private as the name, more often than not that's a cell phone but it can also still be fake.

I do not have a cell phone and have no idea how they do it. I was told the put in their number then put in fake number for caller Id.  Can they do this without having to hear it dial, reach me? Like just put in the numbers?  Is it a program on their phone?  I have never used a cell phone so out of touch with the technology.

Forget about cell phones. ANY phone can use a spoofed caller ID. Tons of information here: https://www.google.com/search?q=caller+id+spoofing like https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

Wanting to catch the person is important they could be interfering with my housing.  Just having call control may scare them away.  If the calls stop I will be happy as they do it early morning.

Catch them? That would be an exercise in futility. Most cases if it's a spoofed scam call it originates outside Canada. I'd recommend spending time on something more constructive or rewarding.

Just to clarify, if the caller does not put in the number, I will still see that they called? A Telus rep told me the caller would have to put in their real phone number to get through then I would have my checkmate.  

That's not part of Call Control. That is an entirely different feature called Caller Reveal. That will NOT stop spoofed calls and has nothing to do with them. It deals with callers that block their caller ID and the phone number.

Keep getting message "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."  getting use to the forum - I have no html in my message.  I hope this does not get posted many times.  I will have to check the site out to see what I am doing wrong.

The text you enter in the box here has HTML behind it. You should see 3 tabs at the top of the post box: "Rich Text" "HTML" and "Preview". Click HTML and you'll see the raw text for your post. That error pops up if you've copied and pasted HTML based text from somewhere and it has an unsupported tag in it. If you hit Post again and the problem goes away, you're fine.

checkmate
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for the wealth of information it will help many people.  I am now well informed I learned about "Neighbourhood spoofing".  I appreciate the time you took to help me.

checkmate
Friendly Neighbour

Another Question:

If the caller does not put in the number when prompted will it record their number in spite of this?  

with many thanks

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, in my call control history on the Telus website I can see the numbers that have called.

checkmate
Friendly Neighbour

Just to clarify, if the caller does not put in the number, I will still see that they called? A Telus rep told me the caller would have to put in their real phone number to get through then I would have my checkmate. My friend told me she only had to put in a  number not their phone number is this correct?  I  am so confused I had 2 reps that could not give me answers about spoofing.  

Keep getting message "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."  getting use to the forum - I have no html in my message.  I hope this does not get posted many times.  I will have to check the site out to see what I am doing wrong.

thank you