Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bufferbloat suddenly increased; why?

JohnDoe97531
Just Moved In

background story (as new customer)...

bonded internet 50 installed.
one line 'accidentally' disconnected one week later.
notice both down/up speeds drop (expected) and bufferbloat worse.
tech reinstalled unbonded internet 25 (at request).
upload tests less than advertised (unstable as well) and bufferbloat continues to be worse. tech apparently knows nothing and can't do anything.
turns out initial upload speed is intentionally set lower to check line quality first (techs don't even know this? lol). raised automatically next day (more stable now too). bonded internet 50 did not experience this for some reason.
bufferbloat continues to not test as well.

but why?

using dsl reports speed test. bonded internet 50 had resulted in a B rating for bufferbloat (until the one line was 'accidentally' disconnected). connection now gets C rating (occasionally worse) everytime.

anyone from telus or well educated able to answer this?

thanks for any input.

🙂

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I noticed you also posted this 6 days ago on DSLR. Outside of running speedtests, what do you do online where you notice any issues? I assume you've read DSLR's FAQ on bufferbloat

I have the same modem (T3200) and I am on a bonded 25 connection since 50 isn't possible here yet. The type of speedtest you do on DSLR (fibre, cable, DSL etc) does impact the results I receive when I run tests there. Mainly my results when I choose DSL are consistent.

• Overall: A
  • Bufferbloat: B
  • Quality: A

Bufferbloat is definitely worse on uploads and nearly non-existent on downloads, but I haven't noticed a single thing while gaming since I got this modem. Latency has been good. No issues when uploading either. Stable consistent speed. If my upload or download maxes out, like when Steam or one of the other similar apps downloads things with unrestricted speeds, there are of course slowdowns in other online applications but that's the way things work when you've maxed out your speeds.

Bufferbloat is specifically hardware related and there are no settings that anyone can access that will impact it. It's not limited to any one ISP either. It appears in both modems/gateways as well as routers.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂