cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE NAT Type 3???

connerroberts97
Just Moved In
I have a ZTE 4G LTE Smarthub from Telus and want to play online with a couple buddies on our PS4's but I always get a NAT Type 3 and my NAT Type in game is always "Strict". Am I able to work around it? It's causing me a lot of trouble and I've tried port forwarding and UPNP and DMZ but it just isn't working. Can I set it to Open NAT or at least Moderate NAT??? Any help???
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pbiron
Neighbour

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!   You need to puchase a public IP Address from Telus $15/month and change your APN on your smart hub.  This worked for me.  Now i have OPEN NAT.  

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Boondock
Connector

I am having the same kind of issue with the Nintendo Wii U.  I get error 118-0516 when trying to play online (Super Smash Bros, Splatoon, MarioKart).  I've tried all of the suggestions from Nintendo for Static IP, DMZ, and Port Forwarding.  I also tried Telus tech support, and didn't get any resolution.  The ZTE modem is so new, they admitted that their troubleshooting skills were limited.

pbiron
Neighbour

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!   You need to puchase a public IP Address from Telus $15/month and change your APN on your smart hub.  This worked for me.  Now i have OPEN NAT.  

View solution in original post

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@pbiron

I expect others would appreciate a bit of detail of the steps you took to get your set=up working the way you wanted. Care to share a step-by-step description for others to follow?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

First thing you want to do is call Telus tech support and ask for a public IP address. Once that is complete you want to log on to your modem then go to settings/network settings/APN....select mode: Manual. Then add new. For your profile name just type whatever you want. APN is going to be connect.telus.com Authentication is NONE. Click Save and set set to default. Reboot modem and that should do it.

@pbiron wrote:
First thing you want to do is call Telus tech support and ask for a public IP address. Once that is complete you want to log on to your modem then go to settings/network settings/APN....select mode: Manual. Then add new. For your profile name just type whatever you want. APN is going to be connect.telus.com Authentication is NONE. Click Save and set set to default. Reboot modem and that should do it.

Any details on how they did this? They are telling me it's a business only option and they couldn't figure out how to add static public ip to a personal account. Don't suppose you could share your account number so I could get tech support to duplicate whatever they did to yours.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Due to privacy laws Telus won't be able to look anyone elses account up to compare yours to. Account numbers should not be shared with anyone unrelated to the account itself, especially on a public forum.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Fair enough. Still unsure how he managed to get a public static ip address on a  personal account.

I was talking to Telus DSA team.  

Have an email from them: telusdsateam@gmail.com 

Shoot them an email see if they can help.  

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm trying to figure out why a Telus division is using a gmail address. Seems suspicious.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Yeah, as much as I wish to fix my issue so I can play Xbox one with my brother again, I won't be hitting up a gmail account. If anyone knows how to get a public ip from Telus mobility for the rocket hub please let us in on the secret. It's a business feature for $15 a month which they will not apply to a personal account, i tried for hours.

I'm not sure why they are telling you this....they applied a public ip to my personal account just fine. Try again maybe get someone else.

Are you able to tell me exactly what the $15 charge shows up as on your account?

Phoned every few days to annoy tech support, the final answer is NO, they will NOT give a personal account a public IP address. Not sure how you managed it or if you're pulling my leg. Of Course the other option is that tech support is clueless.

Did you figure out a way to resolve the Nat type 3 issue?

Same result for me.  This is a GREAT service EXCEPT Telus won't provide a public IP and without that this thing goes from GREAT to CRAP for me.  The only way Telus will provide a public IP is if it is a business service...under which of course you cannot get anywhere near the same price for data volume.  If you were to have a business service with a public IP with 250GB per month the monthly cost would be approaching $1000/month.  ($85 for the first 10GB and then $.05/MB or $50/GB) after that.  I thought that Telus had finally offered something that I (and my wallet) could get excited about but alas not quite.  I would be very interested in the marketing perspective behind this as it is obvious that there is not a material cost behind providing a public IP...probably slightly more complexity in blocking all the inbound traffic. 

Just when I though I might have a reason to like Telus again, back in the black book they go.  

Does anyone know a solution please

Yes its a 5$ add on. On my bill it is called CONNECT DYNAMIC. If you get some tech support ask for the connect dynamic add on to your zte hub. Thats what i have now an it works 100%. It took a long time to figure it out but it is the option that works. Get the tech to help with setup it was easy.

The add on is. CONNECT DYNAMIC..
they wont just do it for anyone. Its a 5$ charge per month. 100%

I was having problems getting rid of my strict nat type so i got them to add the connect dynamic option on my account but my nat is still strict is there anything else you had to do?

You need to forward the appropriate ports for the game or item you are receiving a strict nat on. Google is your friend on this one as every game requires different ports to be forwarded.