You’ve exceeded your monthly Internet data allowance

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

But maybe not, we are not quite sure.... Looking at the usage page it currently says 0gb used (for march) I received this email for March billing

According to this page there are supposed to be internet usage notifications sent out at 75%, 90% and 100% .... 

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/account-and-billing/understand-your-bill/ffh/usage-based-interne...

Yet any agent I have talked with is completely unaware of this. 

The agent I talked with said the email I received about internet over usage  was a mistake ... 

I have software installed on my (own) router which tracks the internet usage for my house, and the online usage meter steadily outpaces it. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

From what I have heard from a few sources, Telus will start charging overage fees effective June instead of March in Alberta.  I also have found that what my router(DD-WRT) tracks as data throughput and what Telus Web page says are different with Telus always being about 15% higher.  When they start implementing UBB, I have decided to subscribe to unlimited for an additional $15.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I will make them account for every byte before I will subscribe to the additional fees...

I know my TV uses network bandwidth, but Telus say they do not charge for that. 

But on the other hand Telus says the netflix app on there TV service is considered chargeable bandwidth.

Yet watching an old episode through the same TV service interface is supposedly not. 

The line is very grey on gray. Streaming media content should be considered a TV service. If I pay for a TV Service I should also have unlimited data. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

The line is not grey.  When you watch something from Telus servers--live TV channels, VOD and Cravetv--it is free.  When you watch content from elsewhere(for example Netflix or Youtube) it counts for the usage cap. Having Netflix on Telus STB is for convenience and is not meant to be free of charge bandwidth.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

As far as I know, the CRTC determined what is TV and what is not. Video on demand is considered TV, and streaming is not.

My speedometer, and the cop's radar gun do not agree. What do you think the judge is likely to say?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour
Re : Speedometer

Since netflix is classified as a VOD service it should be considered TV , no ?. Also who is calibrating the speedometer ?

Re: Grey

It is still grey, the claim is the bandwidth cap is to upgrade telus infrastructure, my neighbour without Internet uses the same infrastructure I do, watches the same amount of TV I do, but I watch 50% of it using a VOD service, were the neighbour watches regular tv. We both use the telus network the same, we both consume the same amount of bandwidth. Yet we are charged differently...

Highlighted
Rockstar

As of april1,telus is charging in Alberta...And I never got any notice on my ebill and I am over by 200Gbs,they better not charge me for that because I was told June by one of the reps..

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

$15  get's you unlimited bandwidth. What's $15 a few star bucks, but i understand some people are hard up for money.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Rockstar

its not the point of $15,its the point that telus should let everyone no that there charging for going over,I was told that it wasn't coming into effect in tell June in alberta so I've been streaming 2 TV's in 4k like I always do because it didn't matter till June and I even had the rep put the unlimited data for June and yesterday I called telus about tv channel changes and the rep told me I was over my allowed data by 250Gb'sGb's,so we will see because she pulled up my ebill and there was no notice onon my ebill for being charged for overages or even telus charging for going over,so I will wait till the 10th and see if I am gonna be charged,she said she put note's on my account so that I won't be changed, I will wait and see.I have unlimited internet now and every channel telus offers except super channel,have home phone,telus 100mbps,1pvr,3 wireless receivers so they better not charge me,and $15 to me is no big deal,I am glad they offer unlimited..

Highlighted
Ambassador

@rayrayj: I am in a somewhat similar situation.  When I called Telus I was told that I will get an email before March 31 advising me of the UBB.  I didn't receive it yet.  In one of the other forums someone mentioned that for Alberta it is from June/July.  I think we will know once the ebill is out.  I am also going to unlimited once it starts.

Highlighted
Rockstar

@vishwa/Ya,I better not be charged for going over or I will be kissed off,I can't wait for my bill,have to wait and see, on unlimited now so it doesn't matter but it could be a changing point if they do charge meme,they said they will credit me if there is charge's, but enough about me,how's that new PVR treating you???

Highlighted
Ambassador

I called Telus today and subscribed to unlimited.  As long as I have Optik, it is $15 and I will see for a year or so.  By then these things would have stabilized.  We will see then.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Usage tracking is still very erratic in my experience. I've checked it regularly over the last year, and much of the time it says zero, or it's frozen weeks out of date, or there's an error accessing it. Trying to track usage with the Actiontec router is hopeless due to the many bugs afflicting it. The only reason I'm not concerned is that my usage is way under the limit. If I were getting warning letters or extra billing from Telus, I'd be pretty annoyed.

As for Telus VoD vs. Crave vs. Netflix, I think the CRTC has been pretty clear that there can be no special usage-exempt status for a service provider's own video services, and it's only a matter of time until a complaint results in Telus starting to count VoD bandwidth.

Highlighted
Ambassador

From what I have seen, Telus is fine tuning their usage tracking.  Before they implement the charge, I am sure they will perfect it--otherwise it could be a nightmare for their customer service reps.