cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Internet issue

Balfouri
Neighbour

I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10, however I'm experiencing lots of issues with my Internet on said computer since. It works fine on Windows 7, but when the update goes through it says my ethernet and WiFi connections are 'limited' and it refuses to connect. I'm not really sure if this is a Telus issue with the upgrade, or if something is going wrong with Windows 10. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

14 REPLIES 14

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you share the exact message?

Since your Telus connection obviously hasn't changed, it is more likely a Windows 10 thing, or a conflict with Windows 10 and your gateway. Can you see other devices on your network?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Balfouri
Neighbour

It says that there might be a problem with the driver for the WiFi adapter. When I try to ping the router it doesn't work. Tried installing/repairing the drivers and it doesn't work. It also shows all the connections, but it just won't connect with them 😕

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

What is your computer make?

Hope it's not a Sony.  Sony has advised owners to wait until October (possibly November) for drivers to be available.

Balfouri
Neighbour

It's a custom built, that sucks for Sony users!

I have been looking stuff up online with my phone and have discovered that my Eset smart security was actually blocking the connection. So I'm currently going through the process to fix that and my Internet connection is back up 🙂 thanks everyone for your time, I really appreciate it!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sony Vaio? I thought I read somewhere that Sony users should NOT install Windows 10 until Sony can come up with a compatible set of drivers.

Found it > http://www.pcworld.com/article/2970741/computers/sony-vaio-owners-have-a-few-weeks-or-longer-to-wait...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Yep.... in your article link it's going to take several weeks before all Vaio's are going to get updated drivers.

For myself, I'm having troubles with my Vista Vaio and was planning to go to Win10.  Vista won't even allow me to upgrade Internet Explorer past version 9.  I was going to get Win10 to upgrade my IE browser (love the RSS interface).  Sadly online reports of those who have tried upgrading with my Sony model meant losing 1080 resolution.... only VGA.

As my machine is from the Vista era.... not sure if Sony will ever invest resources for this older machine.  Otherwise, the model will not see anything until late Fall.

Yes, I have two newer Win7 & Win8 machines, but this Sony just works so much better.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Balfouri

Happy to learn you found a solution. I hope you hang around here a bit and start to offer solutions to others.

@xl

I have a 2006 HP with similar issues. Currently upgraded to Windows 8.1, but the video chip is not supported for Windows 10, so no further updates 😞  Maybe it is time to update this decade old computer with a fresh one.....

NFtoBC

polecat
All-Star

Installed windows 10 flashing screen solved that but it would not connect to the modem by wifi or cable. The driver was not available. The sound was gone. Photos would not open. Moden was checked by telus rep it was ok. The windows 10 download was corrupt? I went back to windors 8 and it all works. It is a hp laptop 2 years old but not a high end one.The battery is weak and i only use it to check email weather and news items so i will leave it in 8. I will look at an ipad before replacing the battery. Hate windows 8.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@polecat

I was no fan of Windows 8.  Win 8.1 fixed it a bit, but Windows 10 returns a fair bit of familiarity to the screen. I'm trying to decide what sort of upgrade I want to do.

NFtoBC

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
@polecat .... iPad (tablets) cannot replace a laptop.
-java and flash browsing.
-limited Keyboarding
-smaller screen

-Windows apps

With regards to the battery... what is the price of an HP genuine battery?  What's the price of an Amazon knockoff?  You might want to explore that option.

@NFtoBC:  I think it's inevitable that everyone goes to Win10.  However those with legacy hardware need to wait longer (months) for all the appropriate drivers to show up.

-it's the last windows OS

-how long will Win8/8.1 patches be supported/available when you are forced to go to Win10?  I thought WinXP would be the final Windows.  It was a great version.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@xl

Win XP remained on my HP until I upgraded to Win 8. I agree it was a superior version of Windows.

NFtoBC

polecat
All-Star

polecat
All-Star

polecat
All-Star

The windows 10 had a lot of issues in my laptop. norton would not work had to have tech remove it and reload it ,i could not do it from my end. Also ascess to my account was not possible password conflict. I saw a site that said some brands of computors locked up solid $$$ for computor repair guy. Windows 10 was still trying to load yesterday so i went into updates and removed update-- kb3035583--- little windows 10 icon is now out of computor.....