Will fibre optics be working this year? what about 100mbps service?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

cafekief
Ambassador

I need more info on this?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Fibre optics, including 100 Mbps service is already working.

100 Mbps service has little value unless  you have sufficient numbers of users to fill the pipe. For the most part, content delivery servers on the Internet can't deliver 25% of that speed to your connection. 

If you are a small business, or moving large (video?) files up and down, it might be useful, but most content is delivered to you at speeds far less than 100 Mbps. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

Hey @cafekief  

Mirroring @NFtoBC almost nothing you do on the internet will require that much bandwidth, unless you have a ton of devices connected and are streaming/uploading large content (video/etc). Ex. A 4K video stream will only take you 20mbps.

iPhone power user
Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@cafekief- Since your question was non-specific, let me clarify: 100mbps is not available in all areas. If there is fiber into the house there is a possibility but fiber is present in only a small number of areas currently. If your lines are copper, 100mbps is not that common yet.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
rayrayjj
Rockstar

I am on telus 100mbps now on fiber to my house and its blazing fast because I don't have to share I with the neighborhood like shaw does,I can watch 4k Netflix on my lg tv and the wife watch 4k Netflix on Samsung tv in bed room and my son can watch 4k Netflix in his bed room on his 4k tv and two youngest kids on there tablets and still have 40 to 45mbps left..Everything is 5ghz ...I love it...and ya we have 3 4k TVs in our house so they are truly using 4k streaming Netflix and not just 1080p..And now optic is running there Netflix and it is great quality on it..no pixelation..

broadcastguy
Coach

Just because your TV is 4K, it does not mean that you're streaming 4K.  Chromecast and Roku 3 are not capable of 4K video streaming, only 1080p.  Also, there are no "DVD Players" that are capable of 4K streaming as of yet.  So, you're only truly streaming 1080p that is being upconverted to 4K by your TV.  If you have a Smart TV and are using the native Netflix app, only then is this currently possible.

That being said, the 100 Mbps connection is blazing fast on TELUS Fibre and works well on bonded copper, too (in select areas where it is offered).

cafekief
Ambassador

rayrayj where do yo live currently?

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Alberata,Canada in between Edmonton and Calgary, and ya Netflix streams 4k through my lg and Samsung tv and ..And I think the optic tv Netflix app is very good quality and it doesn't get pixelation like it does on my lg 4k tv sometimes... It takes a long time to load on my TVs and on optic its right there..