cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi

rayrayjj
Rockstar

I just measured out how far my WiFi extender will go on my old Samsung tab 3 on 5ghz,that's not on any sort of plan,pure WiFi and I can go 38 yard form my house and still do google search..And on my nexus 5 cell phone I can go almost 50yards on WiFi..Now that's some good WiFi,later I will try on the wife's laptop and my sons nexus 9,I think my old Samsung has better WiFi then my sons nexus 9 and paid $500 for his nexus and the wife bought my Samsung for $159 on black Friday a year ago..

4 REPLIES 4

vishwa
Leader

That is an impressive range.  But, while you are at it, you should measure the bandwidth by downloading something or do a speed  test at one of the speed test sites and see what kind of download speeds you get. From what I have seen from DD-WRT sites is that with 5GHz band you get better downloads but 2.4GHz you get better coverage--greater distance.

rayrayjj
Rockstar

That was on 5ghz,I will go and do a speed test by ookla on my tablet and on my phone,I can't use 2.4ghz on my extenter,its only 5ghz..My router/modem is 2.4,I don't no why telus didn't put out a dual band modem/router..

rayrayjj
Rockstar

It is dam cold here but i just did a ookla speed test on 2.4ghz (thats off my router/modem)@28 yards it was 4.80mbps download and 2.44 upload speed and i did a speed test on 5ghz (witch is of my wifi extender)@ 28yards it was 20.51mbps download speed and 11.99mbps upload speed and @ 38yards on 5ghz i am still getting 10.64mbps dowload speed and 6.38mbps upload speed,not bad,but on 2,4 my pings go up to 28 and on 5ghz they were both 6 pings..right now in my house i just ran a 2.4ghz speed test and my son is watching tv on our 65" tv on chromecast in our family room and other son is on his tablet and i still am getting 42.99mbps download speed and 14.62mbps upload speed and on 5 ghz i am getting 77.98mbps download speed and 20mbps upload speed,I think thats some dam good wifi telus puts out,man i love telus and telus fiber..Vishwa where you live??because it seems weird that you cant get 4hd  streams..

vishwa
Leader

Those are impressive numbers and don't change anything.  Very happy for you.