cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speeds lag when gaming on one device on a gigabit fibre plan. *NEED HELP*

Arcz
Friendly Neighbour

Hey guys, I installed fibre recently and I have been having a lot of issues with it. Initially, I had a Telus booster in the middle of my home, while the main fibre hub is outside my house. The wifi would lag/freeze for minutes at a time, and resetting all of my equipment never helped. Then, I replaced the Telus booster with a TP-Link Archer C9 in hopes of stabilizing my connection. It worked great until I start gaming on one console, and then the same problem arises where the wifi will have a moment where it completely freezes. I have 10/100/1000 mbps ethernet switches installed with cat 6 cables and I am really not sure what to do at this point and I am really close to cancelling my plan as I did not have this issue with my Shaw Internet 300 plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no clue on what to do at the moment.

12 REPLIES 12

Arcz
Friendly Neighbour

Just to add, I thought this plan was going to have more than enough bandwidth to handle gaming and wireless at the same time, so I'm really not sure why my wireless performance drops dramatically and even freezes while I'm gaming on just one device. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

“Just one device” almost always suggest that particular device is the issue, rather than the rest of the network. Is there an opportunity to test it when hardwired?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Arcz
Friendly Neighbour

I can test it, but the test on ps4s aren't very accurate. To add to some more insight to my problem, I am having lag spikes on my wireless internet without even having this device plugged in. The wifi will generally freeze up for several seconds to even a minute at times, and I have tried hard resetting everything and installing a third-party router as an access point but the problem still insists. The third-party router was meant to be a stabilizer for my wifi in the Long-ranges, but that also suffers from occasionally freezing.

Arcz
Friendly Neighbour

Also, is there an option to turn off the smart steering and make the Telus booster act as it's own wifi signal? Because I think that could be a potential reason for my wifi stopping on certain devices. I'm not sure why the wired connection can't handle the Archer C9 router and the PS4 at the same time, but I must get my Telus wireless to be reliable before the school year starts.

*I know that it's possible on the old interface, but I can't find it on my Fibre website when I log in on 192.168.1.254*

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What Telus device do you have? You can turn SmartSteering off on the T3200M, but not the newer Wi-Fi Hub (Arcadyan).

NFtoBC

Arcz
Friendly Neighbour
I have the newer Wi-Fi Hub, but unfortunately it was placed outside (I think because the fibre run can’t run through my house unless if they drill holes through it). My devices seem to have trouble switching easily between the hub and booster, and the booster’s range is unable to run well at the corners of my home. Do you have any tips on have to fix this? Or is the only way to eliminate this problem is to run fibre into the middle of my house so I can place the Wi-Fi hub there. (Thanks for the replies by the way, I really appreciate it!)

I think the third party router may be having problems holding a stable connection due to some sort of firewall or Ethernet restriction, possibly from the cat 5e cable that runs from the ONT into my router, so I’ll try using a cat 6 for that connection. The main reason I tried install this router was to improve my range, but it has occasionally times where the down/up drops to 0 mbps

Arcz
Friendly Neighbour
Sorry for the spelling mistakes by the way ^ lol

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

My suggestion is to find a way to move the Wi-Fi hub as close to the center of your home, by extending the fibre or Ethernet to support the Hub.

NFtoBC

Arcz
Friendly Neighbour
Will do, thanks for taking the time to help me with my issue. I really appreciate it! Have a good rest of your day and stay safe!

JerichoTech826
Just Moved In

Hi Aroz! I see that you have tried all of the possible solution for the issue that you're having and that great! let me provide you with some solution we can do for this. First, other Wifi-boosters might not be 100% compatible with a specific modem so it is not advisable to buy other boosters but it is great that you have tried resolving the issue. On a Fiber connection if the issue is intermittent it is highly advisable to contact right away the Technical support team so they could send a technician to attend to your service issue. Please go to this website www.Telus.com and on the bottom part of the website look for the word "support" for self-troubleshoot or please call this number 1-855-595-5588 they are open Mon-Fri 7:30 am - 9pm local time. This is the best resolution for internet intermittent. I know you're a techie guy Aroz and wanted to resolve this issue on your own but I value your time that's why I giving you the best way to resolve this issue right away. I hope this would help you Aroz! Have a good day and be safe!

Arcz
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks for the information! I’ll be sure to give them a call and explain my situation. You also have a good rest of your day and stay safe!

zulu53
Helpful Neighbour

If Telus installed an ONT (a white Nokia box) then have you tried going directly from the ONT (the WAN) to your C9 with cat6 (as being the router of your in home LAN).  You do not need the WiFi hub unless you have OptikTV, and I think even then it can be setup downstream of the C9.  The ONT has VOIP for Telus phone as well if you have that.  Or ask Telus for an ONT and give them back the "hub".

I don't have Telus Voip or Optik )I use PikTV) but this simple set without using the Telus supplied router/wifi boxes makes it easier to troubleshoot LAN problems compared to having multiple routers/wifi - i.e. just set-up the C9 and gigabit switch for >Cat5e wired and add access points as needed to blanket your space with wifi.  I did this (but not with the C9) and have not experienced ANY problems: it takes a lot of connections to break the gigabit bandwidth.  Remember that Telus is not responsible for your LAN (other than provision of the basic router) and the technicians may or may not be able/inclined to help troubleshoot your  LAN - if you get gigabit on a wired connection on their supplied router their job is done.