cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Speed Fluctuates A Lot

Kaserblade
Just Moved In

Recently, my Internet speeds have been incredibly slow. I am on the Telus 15 plan and according to the site's FAQ, I should be getting at least 10mb/s, but I'm not. Before, I used to get around 14-15mb/s on Speed tests. Now, I am barely able to hit 3mb/s. Once in a while the Internet works really well, but 99% time, I can barely load a YouTube video.

All the tests were taken on my Galaxy Note 2 right beside the router. 

3 REPLIES 3

Kaserblade
Just Moved In

Speedtests results:

http://imgur.com/QlnqKth

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are a few things that will impact wireless speeds. Are you by chance in a condo/apartment or have a lot of wireless networks nearby? Try running Wifi Analyzer (free, Android) and see where your network appears. If you are on the same channel as many of the nearby networks, that can really mess with your wireless. Change the channel to a less used one. Don't trust the auto-scan features on routers either. Mine used to default to the most congested channel and my wireless speed was horrible.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
@Kaserblade:
•Are you the exclusive user on your internet when you tests are done?  If other family members are streaming videos or downloading content... that can mess up your performance.
•Is anyone using any cloud backup software in the background?
•Do you have any IP security cameras that is uploading in the background during the tests?