Why is my internet so slow at certain things?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Resident

Hello, I use my internet for gaming and I noticed that is awfully slow. I get ping from around 200-1200 on gaming servers but my internet speed is 25mb/s. The hotel that I had been staying at (it's internet sucked) had better connection for games then my internet here. Why? I think I should be able to get a good speed for internet gaming if I'm paying for 25mb/s

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

While you are waiting for an answer....

• have you used the following to confirm your connection speed?
    http://vancouver.speedtest.telus.com/
  • was your connection problems after dinner at peak times on the gaming server?
  • does your reliability improve when ethernet connected instead of wifi?
  • was some else streaming a movie or doing a download?
  • you mentioned download speeds.... but what is your hotel and home upload speeds?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Mine is slow at certain TIMES. Since DVD rental places are becoming ever more scarce, it seems more folks are downloading content in the evenings, filling the incoming "pipe" to capacity. I just get the drops that come through. At times my upload speed exceeds the download speed!

Hopefully updated infrastructure will address this SOON.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

When I'm travelling, I notice the free hotel internet is always slow and busy between 7pm and midnight.  It greatly improves when I avoid this peak time.

With regards to your situation....

• what happens if you avoid the peak time I'm describing above?
  • do you have exclusive use of internet connection?  Or are you competing with other family members who may be downloading or streaming videos?
  • how does your spead compare during the peak time compared to non-peak times?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I run two laptops side by side.  If one machine is playing a news broadcast, I can slow that machine down by opening up webpages with lots of graphics on my second machine.  Add a few more family members with "neglibile" activity and the results can be pure congestion.

If you paid for 25Mbps download and only getting 5Mbps...  I think something strange is happening in the background.  Do you have an unsecured wifi connection that neighbors may be taking advantage of?

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

While you are waiting for an answer....

• have you used the following to confirm your connection speed?
    http://vancouver.speedtest.telus.com/
  • was your connection problems after dinner at peak times on the gaming server?
  • does your reliability improve when ethernet connected instead of wifi?
  • was some else streaming a movie or doing a download?
  • you mentioned download speeds.... but what is your hotel and home upload speeds?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Mine is slow at certain TIMES. Since DVD rental places are becoming ever more scarce, it seems more folks are downloading content in the evenings, filling the incoming "pipe" to capacity. I just get the drops that come through. At times my upload speed exceeds the download speed!

Hopefully updated infrastructure will address this SOON.

NFtoBC

Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

When I'm travelling, I notice the free hotel internet is always slow and busy between 7pm and midnight.  It greatly improves when I avoid this peak time.

• do you have exclusive use of internet connection?  Or are you competing with other family members who may be downloading or streaming videos?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@xl wrote:

About 5.6 Mb/s at 7:30 am; about 0.8 - 1.2 Mb/s at 7:30 pm. Use by others in my home is negligible.  I'll be having a chat over beers with one of the local Telus techs in the next while and see if anything can be done.

I've experienced the same in hotels as you describe.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Most Helpful
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I run two laptops side by side.  If one machine is playing a news broadcast, I can slow that machine down by opening up webpages with lots of graphics on my second machine.  Add a few more family members with "neglibile" activity and the results can be pure congestion.

If you paid for 25Mbps download and only getting 5Mbps...  I think something strange is happening in the background.  Do you have an unsecured wifi connection that neighbors may be taking advantage of?

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I find telus internet horrible at times. Like most, I want to use it at peak times, thats why they are called peak times. If Telus does not have the infastructure or the skill sets to ensure that I have full access at all times, what in the world am I paying for. I certaintly do not get charged for access from 12am to 4am. I get charged for the entire day, and I should get acceptable access for the full day...

30 more days until my contract is up..woo hoo.....

Highlighted
Resident

For some reason my Internet is slow even when it's NOT during peak times. This only started happening recently since Spring time, and I was hoping Telus would have resolved itself by now...but no, it seems to be getting worse.

I did a Telus Speed Test: Ping 274ms, Download 0.76 - 0.80 Mbps, Upload .54Mbps. I also tried cleaning out my computer for extra measures, still nothing. Our wireless setting is private, and shared only between one laptop and iPad.

I did hear that Telus' Internet infrastructure is pretty bad, and that I'd be better off switching to Shaw.

First I'd like to see if this CAN be resolved...Telus, a little help please?

...and that green button of "Solved, Click here to see the solution", doesn't actually provide any kind of solution...

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you are seeing speeds as slow as you describe on a regular basis, I suggest two actions:

- do a large number of speedtest episodes, and record the results and times

- contact Telus and go through the steps to get a tech to assess you connection. Use the data you collected above to support your request. Continue collecting info until the tech arrives - more data means more likelihood of a suitable outcome.

I had problems with speed, and stopped Internet. I had to reboot teh modem frequently. I thought the issue was the modem, but it turned out the underground telephone pair had degraded, as a switch to the other pair on the cable corrected the problem.

Do the steps, gather the information which helps to support your claim, and you will find resolution often comes faster

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Rockstar

@ur_jking_right wrote:

For some reason my Internet is slow even when it's NOT during peak times. This only started happening recently since Spring time, and I was hoping Telus would have resolved itself by now...but no, it seems to be getting worse.

I did a Telus Speed Test: Ping 274ms, Download 0.76 - 0.80 Mbps, Upload .54Mbps.

If your town is on this list  http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/service-updates-changes/telus-internet-traffic-management-policy...  , but slowdowns would mainly be during peak times of the evening.

What speed package are you subscribed to? Those test numbers indicate Internet-1 , but I guess you are subscribed to something higher.

Very roughly, that ping result shows your line is possibly close to maxing out the connection during the test of ping. Causes ping to go from what I'd like to call routine of 30ms, to above 200+ms.

Is your speed slow 24/7?

what Telus Gateway are you using? Actiontec. Zyxel. Gigaset(square gray box). Or other listed here http://www3.telus.net/chatsupport/#

In your Telus Gateway will be a section on your line statistics. It will show your upload sync and your download sync.

Do you have line filters on each phone? Failures(partial or full) of them can result in a bad DSL experience. The current method is to have a POTS splitter at the demarc to physically seperate your dedicated DSL line/outlet from all inside wiring.

If all else fails, you'd have to call in to ask specific questions of the call support agent.

What speed package is showing as subscribed to. Followed up by them calling to a higher level tech to see what your 'speed profile' is set at.

The current available maximum speed to your address, which is dependant on wire distance from the Dslam. Which could possible make a tech call to check for line issues at the pole or Demarc or inside wire issue.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I have the same problem. Everything I try to open brings out the beachball and it takes ages to get anywhere. I've checked the speed with Telus and they say it's as it should be yet this isn't happening on my desktop, only my MacBook.

Appreciate any help---so frustrated.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you're seeing the Apple beach ball, that will usually be something on your computer. Try a different browser and if on wireless, ensure you are on the correct network.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@JanetHudgins

Is your Macbook connected by Ethernet or Wi-Fi?  

What happens when you connect it to an Ethernet cable?

If on Wi-Fi, how far from your gateway are you, and how many other Wi-Fi signals are visible to your MacBook when you open the Wi-Fi  icon in your top bar?

What is the result from the desktop and MacBook when running SpeedTest.net?

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Neighbour
Hi and thanks for this.

I have wireless and a modem. My TV and internet are connected via Telus wireless.
It’s not connected to the ethernet and I didn’t know I could that. What will happen if I do?
I’m really clueless about WiFi: is that wireless? The TV to my computer is about 8 feet and from the modem 2 feet. Telus’s box is with the TV.

Really appreciate your help. Didn’t know about this source until now.

Thanks

Hi JanetHudgins,

NFtoBC (Guardian) mentioned you in a post! Join the conversation below:

Re: Why is my internet so slow at certain things?

@JanetHudgins
Is your Macbook connected by Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

What happens when you connect it to an Ethernet cable?

If on Wi-Fi, how far from your gateway are you, and how many other Wi-Fi signals are visible to your MacBook when you open the Wi-Fi icon in your top bar?

Janet Hudgins
Treason: The Violation of Trust
http://www.amazon.com/TREASON-Violation-Trust-Janet-Hudgins/dp/1436349249
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Janet,

Wi-Fi is the wireless connectivity available form your gateway (modem)

Wireless usually means cellular internet connectivity

Ethernet is the cable between your gateway (modem) and other devices such as your PVR and likely your desktop computer.

A few more things to try and a few more questions:

- Have you restarted you MacBook recently? Try this and deselect the 'Reopen windows when logging back in' option - this will clear out programs running in the background, and often addresses the beachball issue.

- Which Macbook do you have?

- Have you run SpeedTest from both computers? What speeds are you getting?

- If there are many competing Wi-Fi signals in your location, they will interfere with each other, slowing the Wi-Fi speed.

Let us know more, and we can point you in the right direction.

Feel free to ask for more clarification, and I recommend you stop by the Neighbourhood, as your input will be easier to follow than if you reply from the emails you receive.

NFtoBC  

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Neighbour
Hi:

Thanks for all this.

I’ve restarted and deselected Reopen Windows and I think that helped. And I’ve made Ethernet active. Should I made Firewire or Bluetooth active too?

My computer is a Mid 2009 MacBook, Yosemite 10.10.5. 1 processor, 2GB memory. I use it daily for research, communications, writing, courses, masterclasses in music.

Thanks
Janet
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

No need to change Bluetooth or FireWire. Your 2009 MacBook will have an Ethernet port on the left side (looks like a telephone jack, but with 6 connection points).  Connecting your computer to your gateway with an Ethernet cable, available at your favourite computer outlet and some Dollar Stores, will give you the fastest connection. 

You may also find adding more RAM memory, or replacing the hard drive with an SSD will breathe new life into your MacBook and reduce beach balls. You can find info and videos about this at macsales.com

NFtoBC