Why is my internet so freaking slow???

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Friendly Neighbour

I'm in Langley.  No fiber in my neighbourhood.  I am paying for Internet 25 which is the bonded pair. I have the newer gateway modem that just recently replaced the older style unit.  I would gladly pay more for for a higher connection speed if it were available, but it obviously isn't.  As it stands, Telus's info page for internet 25 "promises" speeds of 5 - 25Mbs (quite a range).  For my needs, the lower end of this range is barely usable.  What is absolutely unacceptable, is the 0.5Mbs I routinely post with speedtest.net.  I understand that Speedtest is not the be-all-end-all defining benchmark of my exact connection speed but real world circumstances such as not even being able to stream Spotify would suggest that speedtest isn't far off the mark.  There are times, such as immediately after getting off a tech support call at noon on a tuesday, where my speed reached 27Mbs.  But those times are rare and extremely temporary.  The majority of real world usage times (read: when kids are home) are rendered frustrating at the best of times, and downright useless at the worst.  By no means do expect to have a minimum of 25Mbs at all times, that's not realistic with my current service and I understand that.  I would however be delighted if my average speed was even 15Mbs, and if that were even remotely the case I would not be writing this message.

I do not profess to be a network engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know a fair amount about my own network, it's configuration, and it's capability.  SEVERAL tech support calls to Telus have usually ended with me chasing mystical "wireless network issues" that provide no real answers, chew up hours of my limited down time, and more or less just keep me out of their hair until i get pissed off enough to call in again.  

Finally I started thinking...    a) This was not an issue with my previous ISP while running the exact same network save for the Telus Modem and Optik TV.

And then b) Why am I doing all the troubleshooting for a problem that never existed on my side before switching providers?

Is this a simple case of neighbourhood overload bottlenecking and there is nothing that can be done with Telus's current infrastructure?

Is the Optik TV sucking too much bandwidth of my connection? (Even when not being used)

Am I being throttled?

This message is kind of a last ditch effort to figure out what's going on.  I am looking for real answers from real people before I have to make a silly and dramatic phone call to client retention.  I have given Telus the benefit of the doubt for months, but they so far have not held up their end of this bargain I am paying for.

Please help if you can.  Or, please let me know if you're experience with Telus internet has been at all similar.  

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

a) No you're not being throttled. I have Optik 15 and can have my PVR recording 3 HD streams and still pull the full 15mbps on the internet. The TV bandwidth is separate from the internet one for the most part. There is usually bandwidth overhead that usually allows it to function without interfering with internet.

b) 25mbps bonded? You have two phone lines into the modem? I thought 50+ was typically the bonded kind...

c) When you call in, did any of them go talk with network support? If the connection keeps going unstable, they should be able to narrow down what's causing it if it's on Telus' side. 

d) If it's wireless, there are many things that can interfere with it. Does the speed fluctuate on any hardwired devices? Does the TV ever have issues? 

e) When your kids are home are they using P2P or something that'll eat up your bandwidth including video chat? Are the problems less common / gone when your kids are not home? Are they doing something different than before?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Rockstar

Actiontec T-series manual 

http://static.telus.com/common/cms/files/internet/telus_t2200h_user_manual.pdf

When using your own router, you will activate port1 bridge. Direct to the internet with a IP address.

1: Always test wired to Telus Gateway(T2200H).  If needed, unplug all other computers and turn off wireless to ensure no background activity. Unplug ethernet from Optik boxes if needed.

2: On the connection status page in your T2200H(page 69 of manual), will show both lines and what they are connecting at(speed and attenuation).  If one line(pair) of the two is not working properly, it will cause fluctuations in your speeds.

3: If anyone is 'filesharing' and maxes out the upload, it will greatly reduce the download.

4: A call support agent should be able to ask a higher up, who is an actual Tech, to see if your area Dslam has any congestion issues. A program(DSLexpresse) runs on the DSL lines that checks for problems. If the Tech does not access it to check for problems, keep running around in a circle.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

a) No you're not being throttled. I have Optik 15 and can have my PVR recording 3 HD streams and still pull the full 15mbps on the internet. The TV bandwidth is separate from the internet one for the most part. There is usually bandwidth overhead that usually allows it to function without interfering with internet.

b) 25mbps bonded? You have two phone lines into the modem? I thought 50+ was typically the bonded kind...

c) When you call in, did any of them go talk with network support? If the connection keeps going unstable, they should be able to narrow down what's causing it if it's on Telus' side. 

d) If it's wireless, there are many things that can interfere with it. Does the speed fluctuate on any hardwired devices? Does the TV ever have issues? 

e) When your kids are home are they using P2P or something that'll eat up your bandwidth including video chat? Are the problems less common / gone when your kids are not home? Are they doing something different than before?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Yes, 2 phone lines into Modem

Line 1 stats: 

Levels                       Downstream      Upstream

Line Rate:                 15869 Kbps       1087 Kbps

Attainable Line Rate: 24142 Kbps       1874 Kbps

SNR:                         9 dB                   8 dB

Attenuation:              (DS1)27.1 dB      (US1)14.0, (US2)67.7 dB

Power:                      12.6 dBm            6.1 dBm

Line 2 Stats:

Levels                       Downstream     Upstream

Line Rate:                 15615 Kbps      1013 Kbps

Attainable Line Rate: 23097 Kbps      1270 Kbps

SNR:                         9 dB                  8 dB

Attenuation:              (DS1)28.1 dB     (US1)14.1, (US2)66.7 dB

Power:                      9.4 dBm            0.5 dBm

Couldn't tell you if if any of the previous calls involved a "network tech", just that I was talking with "tech support".  I plan on calling tomorrow and will insist on input directly or indirectly from a network tech.  I will also reference the troubleshooting program suggested by Nasty.

TV rarely has issues now.  Some pixelation and/or signal loss happens once a week or so and is annoying but nothing to really gripe about.  

I understand as well that "filesharing" can have an effect on performance and expect it, but it should not be to a crippling extent.  Regardless, that has not been taking place during these times of near blackout service anyway.

Kids are of a young age, and their bandwidth usage is limited to Netflix streaming.  Yes, I know that can also be taxing on bandwidth, but as I mentioned earlier, none of these issues ever arose with the previous provider.  These issues are persistent and random regardless of Optik, Netflix, or any other kind of usage I can throw at it from my side.  

Wired and Wireless speedtests are nearly identical.

While writing my original post, Speedtest was reporting a 2367ms ping, 0.66Mbps down, and 1.6Mbps up. Of course, now that I have a shoulder to cry on, it's giving me 22ms, 22 up, and 2 down consistently whether I'm wired directly to the modem, wired directly to my router, or wireless through my router.  I will be sure to capture the DSL line stats again when the problem inevitably returns, as the stats above obviously don't show the severity of my problem.

While inside the modem, I see there is a speedtest built in.  Is this a useful tool? If so, do either of you know a URL I can pump into it that would generate a result?  Every generic URL I put in results in a failed test.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's "Network Support" and they won't talk to you directly. Tell the tech support person it's a chronic issue (multiple tickets make it that to start) and they need to talk with Network Support. Normally if it's chronic, they'll end up there anyways. If the wired connection is also doing it, then make sure you ensure tech support knows that. If they think it's wireless they are going to do a lot of useless troubleshooting that won't fix the issue. A 2367ms ping is horrendous, especially if to a local server. Connection errors could possibly trigger that (Network Support can see them) but with bonded I'm not sure if mass errors on one line could badly effect both.

Other possible causes I could think of (though a repair tech may be needed to check most) include: bad line card, or bad modem; and rarely though still possible: bad VDSL POTS Splitter or a bad line would be least likely but still on the list.

The attainable and actual speeds on both lines look perfectly fine so unless there's some random, significant, bursts of errors occurring on the line at random, it's hard to say what it is. Network Support can see the errors and if the connection profile has been changed to try deal with them (ie slow it down). 

Netflix shouldn't really cause any issues. If in doubt go into the Netflix website and update the streaming quality to a lower setting just so see. Netflix is used here constantly without issues so I doubt that'll be it.

The Actiontec's built in speedtests I wouldn't worry about. I haven't had one work ever.

An idea though. I have not tried it with the Actiontec V2000H, but maybe give WinMTR (Free) a try. It can show dropped packets along with pings and is a bit better of a tool than simple pings/traceroutes. Like ping/traceroute it may not reach the destination server (normal as many block ICMP) but watch the first few lines specifically. Your modem will be line 0 (not shown). The first Telus server (10.x IP) will be line 1.

Example: tested to google.ca -- first 3 are Telus servers. Everything after is Google. (May have different IPs/# of lines depending which server it ends up at.) Any that say host not found etc, may have ICMP pings blocked so don't worry.

winmtr.jpg

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Are you the exclusive  user?  Do you have any IP security cameras that is consuming bandwidth in the background?