Why is TELUS not addressing the issue the migration to Google's webmail has caused with POP3?

Highlighted
Resident

PCherian

Thank you so much for all your replies.  You rescued my efforts with migration in permitting me to use my old Outlook file from Microsoft Office 2019 that has 10 plus years of mail stored in it. 

So the question is, will it ever be possible to delete the Telus mail that went to G Mail during the migration?  Yes it sits there and I have used almost 75% of the maximum storage space.  I hate that this mail is on Goggle and I don't trust them one bit. 

I use Firetrust Mailwasher Pro to retreive my mail and from there I can filter what I want to read before opening Microsoft Outlook. 

Appreciate all your fine comments.  I printed the Instruction list out for safe keeping.

Highlighted
Resident

Telus seems to be withdrawing support for the SMTP POP incoming mail server. With the SMTP server, emails that you download to outlook are deleted from the server as they are downloaded. The IMAP server would keep the emails on the server so that they have to be manually deleted using a web access application such as Telus Web mail. Yes, Telus says we will be able to continue using Outlook, but not with SMTP.  I suppose the idea is that users may wish to be able to access all emails via multiple computers.  

This makes using a mail program such as outlook very clumsy and potentially rather tedious.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

SMTP is the outgoing mail server.

POP and IMAP are incoming mail servers.

Your use of the terms in your post makes it difficult to understand. Properly set up IMAP services will delete messages from the server from any device you use to connect to the servers there is no need to use Telus Webmail to complete this task - it is managed through the IMAP protocol.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Connector

@TeligaTed 

I have tried repeatedly to reply to your email, on 2 different computers, and the reply keeps being rejected.  I remember PCherian  had trouble trying to post a list of steps and had to send it in pieces.  So, if there is some kind of limit I will try sending parts separate posts.  Here goes..

“Telus says we will be able to continue using Outlook, but not with SMTP”

I am totally confused by your post, and I’m also wondering who at Telus made the above statement and exactly what it means. Hopefully you didn’t mean that Telus and Gmail were perhaps not going to continue supporting/providing POP mail?

Following a recent migration I set up Telus email, through Gmail POP mail, following the instructions posted by PCherian.  For my main computer the procedure and outcome was completely successful.  However….

I have occasionally for an extended period had to use a backup computer, to where I copy the current pst file (Outlook 2010), and have in the past been able to carry on Receiving and Sending Telus email to the same file.  But, with Gmail, while I can now Send successfully, I have not been successful in Receiving mail to this backup computer – pop.google.com will not recognize my username/password.  I have not yet contacted Telus Tech.  Since I’ve selected to ‘save mail on the server until deleted”, it’s not a big concern right now.

Contrary to your post, POP mail will, if you select it, retain copies of your Incoming emails on the server for as long as you state.

Highlighted
Connector

@TeligaTed 

continued reply...

For anyone who doesn’t normally check web mail before downloading to an app. I‘d strongly suggest you do, as Gmail does not function as simply as Telus web mail.  It’s very important that you see what is happening with your emails at Gmail with your POP account.

Gmail has a lot of confusing settings and if not configured the way you want, will add copies of your incoming mail to what they call labels.  There seems no way to turn these off.  You have to train the algorithm as to what should not have extra labels attached to them, by removing them. It seems the easiest way is to delete the label attached to the beginning of the email.   The algorithm is a slow learner.

Also, unlike the Telus server, Gmail server retains copies of the mail Sent from your Outlook app. which POP mail is not usually supposed to do.  So, you will also have to delete these emails if desired in Gmail.  Anything that you delete inside Gmail apparently will be automatically deleted in 30 days, but there is no similar message for any other location of email (i.e. Gmail labels like updates etc.)

I used Telus web mail to screen/delete mails only, before downloading to Outlook, so while I am still at the “trial and error” stage, to prevent Gmail from redirecting some incoming mail to its own labels (and not showing in ‘Inbox’) I have had to set Inbox as Default in ‘Settings’. 

Highlighted
Resident

PCherian,

Thank you for posting and providing some good information.

I know I'm not alone in having considerable disdain for the way Telus has thrust, yet again, some form of change that has created frustration and hardship on many of its customers without a hint of ownership or solution. Personally, I have about 10hrs with 2.5hrs on the phone with Telus. No Joy!

Did some different searching and wound up here. That prompted some other digging.

For those that stumble upon this, I offer: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?authuser=1&hl=en&authuser=1&visit_id=6373197802910469... as a compliment to what may have already been offered here.

Between the above link and PCherian’s post(s), I am up and running as before.

I do not like the idea of my mail being in the possession of others. To that end, I receive my mail on other devices but my PC is main repository. Once there, it is purged from the mail server. I encourage anyone to do the same.

In closing, if you or others are concerned that Telus has moved possession of your information from Canada to the United States. I encourage a complaint the CRTC. Only with enough complaints will they have to take action. It’s clear to me that as Telus is incapable of taking ownership, complaining to Telus will be on deaf ears.

Cheers,   

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You do realize Telus has been using Dell for email services for quite some time? Telus has not operated their own mail servers in years. They are migrating to Gmail because Dell caused that huge email outage last year. If you recall Dell is also an American company.

Also do realize that the CRTC only deals with extremely specific things. Internet is not one of them. The CCTS does deal with specific aspects for internet but in this instance they have no ability to do anything. They can't tell an internet provider what services, servers or businesses they can utilize as part of their service.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂