Why don't telecom companies reward loyalty?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

ChefAndrew
Resident

I've been with Telus for just about 3 years now since I made my initial move to Alberta (previously was with Shaw in BC).  My phones are through Koodo which is a Telus company, and I've got a Home Internet/TV Bundle.  

What frustrates me, is I'm done my mandatory 2 years as a part of my contract for Internet/TV, it's been almost a year since then that I've been paying nearly $140/month for the most basic of television packages (Essentials), and a 50MBPS internet package.    Why, unlike so many other companies in the world do these big telecom companies think it's good business not to reward loyalty in their customers.  Instead they offer deep discounts to those who are new customers, and then 3-6months down the road nearly double the bill for these new customers.  When the contract runs out, I can save nearly $60/month by switching over to a different TV/Internet provider to again receive this underhanded introductory offer, until again my contract runs out and I hop to the next provider.  

Wouldn't it be better for Telus to look at my history and say "Oh hey, this guys been paying full price for nearly 3 years... rather than lose him to our competitor (Eastlink in Grande Prairie where I'm located for example), how about we say thanks for staying with us and drop his costs by 10, 15, or 20%.   Setup a loyalty program where every year you stick with the company with uninterrupted service that you gain an additional 5% discount on your bill up to a cap of whatever they think is reasonable.  I can hop to Eastlink tomorrow and save myself $60/month.. 

Restaurants, clothing stores, grocery stores, almost every customer relations system out there has something built in to reward loyalty, but not Telus.  Oh and of course I just absorbed the additional $5/month they've added on to their already expensive internet plans because apparently they need more money to improve the services they provide.

DarkJedi
Helpful Neighbour

$140 a month is lot of money!

I am paying the basic for $33 with the bundle discount since you can't live without their expensive Internet. Why am I paying $33 for basic TV that I can get over the air? Lately I have been reading a lot about cutting the cord and going cable free. That would be save me $396 + tax a year. Unless Telus give me a great deal to sign with the for a two year contract, I am probably cutting the cord within a month. Still have to explain it to the better half how every will work without the cable box.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DarkJedi wrote:

Still have to explain it to the better half how every will work without the cable box.

Please share how you accomplish this. I'm sure lots of guys would like to learn how to stick-handle that one!  Robot LOL

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
DarkJedi
Helpful Neighbour

All my wife watch on the cable is Local News. everything else we watch is either on Netflix or online. more than likely I will just have to explain and teach her how to record TV with the USB Hard drive. She is all game with saving money. Unless Telus have an offer that we cannot refuse. We don't mind paying for basic service if the price is fair, not $38! Give me a 50" Samsung smart LED TV and we will stay on for another two years.

DarkJedi
Helpful Neighbour

The 49" Toshiba TV the offer now is not A Smart TV and it is a Toshiba.

I currently have a 55" Panasonic S60 Plasma. Best purchase ever! and a 40" Samsung LCD from 10 years ago. Sounds great, doesn't look too great compare to the Plasma or any TV out nowadays and it is only 1080i.

DarkJedi
Helpful Neighbour

Spoke to my wife and she agree to cancel the TV service since we only watch local TV. She also agree if Telus offer some kind of incentive we will consider it also. It actually was not hard to explain it to my wife. a lot easier than I thought Smiley Happy. I just told her the facts and $ numbers. Paying $33 a month for basic TV is just not worth it at all. Anyone from Telus will offer us some incentive to keep the service?

Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll need to call Telus and find out.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
ChefAndrew
Resident

Getting a straight answer out of Telus has been quite the hassle so far... 

RonAKA
Ambassador

Telus does have a loyalty program, at least for home phone. You have to threaten to leave them before they will offer it to you.

Highlighted
ABaker
Resident

I have been a Telus customer for 40 years. Phone, then Internet, mobility, and now Telus TV. I have found it almost impossible to get any recognition for my length of service. I am sure after all this time, I have paid for at least one TV, but I have never really received a thing. Sometimes I can get them to lower my rates a bit, but it takes a lot of talking. They really should do better looking after the customers they have.

canucks4life
Ambassador

@DarkJedi wrote:

Spoke to my wife and she agree to cancel the TV service since we only watch local TV. She also agree if Telus offer some kind of incentive we will consider it also. It actually was not hard to explain it to my wife. a lot easier than I thought Smiley Happy. I just told her the facts and $ numbers. Paying $33 a month for basic TV is just not worth it at all. Anyone from Telus will offer us some incentive to keep the service?

Luckily my wife really doesn't watch TV so we dropped Optik service and upgraded Internet plan this summer have been streaming mostly Sportsnet Now also use Shaw FreerangeTV app on iPad since my mother has full cable package in retirement home Smiley Very Happy

Might consider again in the future if they offer a 4K TV on 2-yr promo.