cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have no LAN Ethernet lights lit on my modem? It says I have internet but it doesn't work.

cheyanne23
Neighbour

I have reset the modem, unplugged the power and reconnected it, disconnect my device and reconnected. Pleas help me because I don't want to spend 4 hours playing phone tag with telus. 

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The LAN lights are a response to there being a physical connection detected. If they are missing triple check the physical connections between the gateway and your PC. If you're wireless, there won't be any LAN lights lit up. Resetting the modem won't have any impact on this issue. It's a physical thing rather than software.

Is your computer directly plugged into the modem? (Is there anything plugged into ports 1-4 on the back? Should there be?) If yes, check to ensure the ethernet cable is plugged into your PC and see if the network card has any lights lit on it (most do but not all). If no, is anything else plugged into the modem?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

cheyanne23
Neighbour

Well then that makes sense because it's wireless. But still doesn't solve why it says I have wifi yet none of my devices are able to pick it up. The Internet and network lights are solid till I connect a device then it starts blinking and the device can't connect. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ok, that makes sense. Now if you've reset your modem, that usually clears the wireless settings if you set up your own network name and password. If you just rebooted it or you kept the default network name / password, you should be ok.

Are any of your devices able to connect wirelessly?

Is the Wireless / WLAN light lit up on your gateway?

What type of device / operating system? (PC, tablet, phone etc)

In your device settings, does it show you connected to the correct network?

If it's not connected / was reset and you don't see your own wireless network, check the underside of the modem for the default network name and wireless key.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

cheyanne23
Neighbour

None of my devices are able to connect. The wireless light is lit up. I'm using my phone to test the connection. I am hooked up to the right network. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

What modem / router do you have there?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usual troubleshooting process would be to connect a computer to the gateway with an ethernet cable. This should give you an internet connection no matter what. If not, you may need to may need to press the reset button on the gateway with a paperclip.

Once you know you have a solid, wired connection to the internet, then you can start to track down the Wireless issues. Log into the gateway using the credentials which came with it (usually on the bottom of the gateway) and go to the Wi-Fi section to confirm the wi-fi login credentials. Make sure these are accurately transferred to a wireless device. you should then be able to confirm you are connected to the gateway by either activity on the wireless device, or on the log screen (first page) of the gateway management page you have logged into on your computer.

Let us know what you learn.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"